SOL Escape and Escape Lite Bivvy bags

Anyone have one of these, how do you find it? Are they breathable enough to sleep all night in your sleeping bag inside one? Do people use them as a matter of course say under a fly or bivi rock in the rain or are they really only for emergency use when you get completely caught out?
I have one. Keep it for emergencies only. I'm all into going light, but using one of these on a regular basis would not be comfortable.
So they're definitely more of an emergency solution that might be a bit more comfortable / preserve the warmth of your insulation a bit better than a non breathable mylar 'survival' bag, rather than a bivi bag you'd be using as a matter of course to keep you sleeping bag dry in damp situations like fly camps, rock bivis or snow caves? I'm not looking for something to take instead of a sleeping bag, I don't try to go that lightweight!
I'm pretty sure you can re-use these (good luck getting a normal emergency mylar blanket back into its packet). I have one, but haven't used it. I might soon though. But I wouldn't use it as a replacement for shelter. And I'm not sure how many uses you'd get out of one.
What @kreig said. Mine's for emergencies - I've had it out of the stuff sack to see how well a bag would fit inside (easily), it packed back down again no problem. I don't think the material used would last longer than a couple of nights on rough ground.
I had the Heatsheets version (still have one as a super lightweight backup on day trips) but found them a bit clammy when used once only. Bought the Escape version a short while afterwards. I've only used it as a sleeping bag thermal cover for my light bag in a hut in early winter. Would've easily added several degrees to the warmth. My only complaint would be the hood is a bit lame. It really needs to be an eyelid to give the bag a truly effective weatherproof rating. Surprisingly durable material. Gearshop seem to have bumped their price up quite a bit though. I'm fairly sure I paid about $60 a couple of years ago. At $105 now it's getting close to the price of some dedicated bivy bags (weight not withstanding)
A mate told me he sleep in his one night in a hut just to see how it went. He said it was good, but everyone in the hut hated him as it was super noisey.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Ian_H
On 5 November 2016
Replies 6
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown