Packing list

1–10 of 55

Ok, still some time to go, until my trip to NZ, but I thought, it would be a good idea, to write down my packing list, so that I still have enough time to get, what is needed, or to sort out stuff, I don`t need. Maybe you would like to give me some advice? The trip is now fixed, and I will do the Te Paki Coastal Track and the Abel Tasman. Unfortunately, I haven`t got enough time to do the other tracks, but hopefully, there will be a next time ;) So, here is, what I`m planning to take with me, and already have: - tent, lightweight (MSR) - matress, inflatable, lightweight (Therm-a-rest) - sleeping bag, downfilled, or fibre-filled, not yet decided (TNF) - maybe a small, folding pillow ( Snugpack) - gas stove, small, lightweight ( Jetboil) - fork, knive, spoon, lightweight (Edelrid) - maybe a folding bowl - small sponge for cleaning the dishes - 3 lightweight microfibre towels - showergel (also use to wash the clothes) - toothbrush and paste - antitranspirant - undies (3 briefs, 3 pair of socks) - swimming trunks (maybe take instead of the third brief) - 2 or 3 hiking shorts (not yet decided) - 1 or 2 pants, long, hiking (not yet decided) - 3 shirts, short sleeve, hiking - fleece jacket, lightweight - rain jacket, lightweight - rain pants, lightweight - cap - jandals - hiking boots, or trailrunning shoes ( not yet decided) - sun glasses - hiking poles, lightweight - plastic bags for waste - water filter (Sawyer) - camera, batteries, charger - cellphone, charger - solar charger - 2 or 3 bottles for water, either plastic, or aluminium, from 0,5l to 1,5l (I don`t know, how much water I have to take on the tramps) - passport, credit card, and some cash Things to get, when arrived in NZ: sun screen, insect repellent, gas tank for the stove, some freeze dried food, and something to eat for breakfast, and during the hikes (bars, or is there something, you recommend?)
Hey Gizmo - your list seems pretty good in my opinion with just a couple of suggestions Get a down sleeping bag: Down has more benefits of synthetic bag such as being lighter and warmer, obviously the only disadvantage is that if it gets wet the insulation properties will be rendered useless where as with synthetics it will still hold a fair bit of its insulation properties. If you take care to keep your down bag dry such as keeping it in a dry bag, a down bag would be better just a little more expensive. As with a pillow you can generally just stuff your sleeping bag cover with clothes to use as a pillow. And with a folding bowl, if your travelling on your own then you can generally use your pot to cook and eat in. Also it would be a good idea to take a bushcraft knife incase you need to cut wood or work around camp etc... (I use an ESEE 6 which is an awsome blade btw These are my suggestions and are what I personally do with my gear. I hope this helps
- Showergel: please use biodegradable wash in the bush. Example use: http://www.bivouac.co.nz/sea-to-summit-citronella-wilderness-wash.html - 3 towels seems a lot but each to their own - I take an inflatable pillow as clothes in a bag don't work for me. It's very personal. Now, I'm a bit over the top (and love spreadsheets and use them for work)..... This is my list... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lzOqbV9GkAIjjdpu_F5pe8ib90RUnRdmxLEFgLY11vA/edit?usp=sharing (The "Current" setup was for the Five passes in February.) I go down column D when preparing before a tramp, then check off down column C while packing to confirm.
Yeah DEFINATLY use biodegradeable soap - even biodegradeable is bad but better than non biodegradeable. Generally I dont take soap in the bush I just use gravel from the river bed to wash my dishes - does a great job. And to wash your man bit just use water, if you know what to look for there are some plants that you can soak in water to extract some scent such as pine needles
dont get biodegradeable soap in the water ways and lakes, its not biodegradeable enough, it can still kill living organisms...
Yep I only use stones and water for washing cooking gear too. Wash is just to keep the man parts real clean on big hikes or I get in trouble quickly...
With washing up and things you really dont NEED soap. Id rather smell than put that crap in our waterways. The cavemen probably used sand and stones for washing their man parts
Good for cavemen. They didn't have shoes either.... do you? It's not about smell. For me, I struggle without soap. I'd rather use a small amount of soap responsibly than have to use the Vaseline I also carry for chafing. When that happens all the fun stops.
soap is OK, but don't use it near waterways, lakes, etc. so that it can be filtered out by the ground. Shower gel is not a good idea IMHO as you are mainly carrying water. Using a soap bar is lighter, cheaper, and it doesn't risk exploding in your pack. I personally just take a small bit of soap in a ziploc or waterproof plastic container for short hikes (1-2 weeks tops) and if leaving for months I pack the rest of the soap (dry) in a separate ziploc, so that only a small part of the soap is wet, it's just more convenient that way. Instead of 3 towels I would take one, and a small microfibre rag to dry the tent (remember, it's NZ, your tent will be wet from humidity on most mornings, you don't want to carry the X litres of water from your fly), also useful to dry the cooking pot or other stuff. Water bottles: don't take aluminium, they weight a ton, soda plastic bottles from the supermarket are cheaper, lighter and as strong, plus they come with soda. You can buy them here in NZ (common size is 1.25 L or 2L), no need to take them in the plane. For gas I found that the cheapest in Auckland was Torpedo7 on K Rd: $7 for the 220 grams canister. Sponge for dishes: I just take some bread with me and clean my bowl with that and eat it. If I don't have bread, I just use water to clean, that's enough, unless you are cooking very oily stuff. Solar charger: I took a small one (1.5W) in central Australia (= much more sun than NZ), and it was quite a disappointment. I found that instead, just carrying a 10,000 mAh USB battery pack (mine was from Xiaomi, about $25, 250 grams) was just enough for charging phone and camera between campsites/hostels (usually a couple of weeks). Your experience might be different ;)
So, ok, I`ll take soap, instead of showergel, and don`t use it to clean dishes. The folding bowl stays at home, and I will take the down filled sleeping bag (have both). Just need to get the waterproof bag for it. For the pillow, I think, I will test, if clothes stuffed in a bag would be ok for me. And I`ll also leave the aluminium bottles at home. For the knive, I`ll have a look. The solar charger, well, I only used it around norther Europe, and even in bright sunshine, it takes a long long time to recharge a phone (iPhone 6). For the camera I have two extra batteries, that I pre-charge. So it would be mainly for the phone. But I`m not sure, if I should bring the iPhone, or just an old cellphone, and get a prepaid card in NZ. That is, because I need to book my bus connections via internet (or I`d have to book them all in advance from home), and I don`t know, if they let me use their PC at the campsites, or i-Sites..
1–10 of 55

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Gizmo
On 27 September 2016
Replies 54
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown