SAR

I was just wondering if anyone is a member of New Zealand Land Search and Rescue.
I have been involved with SAR over many years, mainly through tramping clubs and have been on many operations. However I seem to have sort of drifted away from them now. The local Police have their own SAR team and don't seem to be as keen to rely on volunteers. There are very active SAR groups in other centres. I think of Hamilton and Turangi as a couple I know about.
Im currently in the process of joining the tararua sar group but will need training before I actually go on a rescue, mainly just with the helicoptor winching and 1st aid etc.It will be good to help out aswell just in case I ever need the favour returned.
Good on you. I wish you best of luck. It can be a lot of fun. One bit of advise, discuss what you are doing with your employer. I have found employers to be very supportive and generally have not had to use annual or sick leave for SAR operations at any time. I would even recommend even having a clause in your employment contract that allows you to have time off immediately you are called. Usually they are actually quite proud to have one of their lot doing something so public minded. The trouble is that when the balloon goes up it will be at the worst possible time and it can be a bit tough trying to explain to the boss that you have to go immediately As a team coordinator for our tramping club at one stage I found it very frustrating when people I thought I could rely on would not drop everything and come out. It just made getting a team together so much harder. The funny thing was that 24 hours later when the search had been on the news those same people would be all falling over themselves to get on the team. Another thing is to remember that you often have to "hurry in to wait". Can be very frustrating. You are called in with an hours notice at 5am in the morning and then sit around on your bum until 10 before getting a task. That is OK. Having worked as a controller on excersises myself there is nothing more important than having fresh teams ready to be flown in when a lead is found. You have to trust your search management, relax and do what you are told.
I have been considering joining SAR and have a few questions I would like to ask. What process do you have to go through to join SAR? What sort of standards are there? What is actually involved with being a member of SAR? How often do you have to attend training exercises? Any information would be much appreciated.
I think you might have to be 18 years old and from the emails I have been getting there seems to be a training excercise every few weeks which range from orienteering,caving and mock searches etc aswell as just general meetings every 2nd month I think plus be very fit (joined in on a mock search once when I was 14 and half died from it lol). Hope this helps abit
I think everyone assumes that it is only the super fit that can be in SAR. That is not the case, lots of skills are needed, computer skills in the management team. Also another roll is containment. An older fellow like myself might be helicoptered into a hut or with a tent or a stream junction to wait just incase the subject wanders past. In Hamilton I know they have a very successful Junior SAR orginisation for young people to practise radio, mapping, GPS and general outdoor skills. But what they have varies from region to region. I know here in Rotorua they have a small first response team but the Police handle most of it themselves. Have a look at http://www.landsar.org.nz/find/club/ClubRegional.aspx?ID=1709 for a list of regional contacts. The other organisation is SARINZ who do the training. See http://www.sarinz.com for a list of courses in different areas.
there are minimum ages to be deployed operationally. To join SAR you need to be 16 years and to be deployed on an operation you need to be 18 years old.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Briar
On 19 April 2010
Replies 7
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown