Incidents in the mountains

Post-mortem on Czech tramper carried out, track 'unlikely' to close over winter http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/83661242/Post-mortem-on-Czech-tramper-carried-out-track-unlikely-to-close-over-winter
248 comments
71–80 of 248

French tramper found off track in Pureroa Forest http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/85448387/search-on-for-missing-french-tramper-in-pureroa-forest
I see that ubiquitous 'would of' has reared its head in the transcript of what mademoiselle said. "I would happily of paid to be rescued." Classic. I'm sure mademoiselle knows the verb "to have" is used as the auxilliary verb in this modal construction.
'"As I am a backpacker I did not have a tent," she said. "I did have a sleeping bag"' Yeah okay.
I often do not take a tent when tramping, and never have one on day tramps. From reading the article she actually seemed to be decently prepared. But having navigational equipment and the knowledge how to use it would have helped.
There's so much context needed, but what got me wondering was that she said she didn't have it because she was "a backpacker". I don't really understand what that means or how it's rationalising anything. I normally balance the shelter I take with where I'm going and for how long, but I'm struggling to think of a case where I'd be taking a sleeping bag and not take some decent portable shelter (beyond survival blankets). Each to their own though, I s'pose. It's not as much of a crime as letting native-English-speaking journalists relay your casually spoken second language in bad grammar, though.
@izogi I think she means she's backpacking around NZ in the shoestring-holiday sense so it's not practical to carry a tent. Gotta way up whether you're going to pack a nightclub outfit you'll wear 10 times or a tent you might not use at all. Priorities etc
Plus with the hut network there is little need to carry a tent most of the time, like I mention above I rarely take mine. I also know many others who regularly do not carry a tent.
young people who go back packing around the world need to make sure there is still an element of organisation and planning in the itinerary. There is no excuse for not having the right gear. E.g. Tent, plb, gps etc. book a night or two at the start and end of your trip in the same place so they will be able to hold gear for you that is superfluous during different parts of your trip. This girl is reckless and hung ho and it is not necessary.
I was going to say 3 survival blankets and a sleeping bag for a day walk sounded pretty prepared to me but now I see she's doing Te Araroa. I feel for her though. It can be tough travelling on your own when you can't share the weight of shelter and equipment.
Not seen any reference to her walking Te Araroa. Could you link the one you've seen? Seems very unlilely anyone could have got as far as Pureora on Te Araroa without needing a tent. Or was she merely on a shorter walk on the Pureora section of Te Araroa? I take a tent, tarp or bivvy bag on alnost every overnight or longer trip I do. The message should be consistent that overnight shelter is a fundamental requirement for tramping in nz. You can do your own risk assessment and leave it on a specific occasion - based on weather, group size, other fallback options - but taking one should always be the baseline approach.
71–80 of 248

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by waynowski
On 29 August 2016
Replies 247
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown