Trail shoes vs boots

1–10 of 16

This thread branched from "Gaiter Heath Robinsons" on . Explore the branch.

A comment from @lloydy in original thread got me thinking - I got talking to a couple of TA walkers in Mangatepopo hut last month - both had worn Salomon trail runners since starting out down south and swore by them. I'm thinking of making the switch myself for summer stuff on less demanding terrain as I spend enough time clomping around in heavy boots every winter. I recently purchased a pair of Salomons to use as approach shoes and they're extremely comfortable and stable, even with a moderate (10-15kg) load on. Any advice from others who've made the switch before I take the plunge?
I know a few people wearing Teva sandals that love them. On good tracks I cant see a problem and have worn running shoes or even jandles on a few trips. Got looked at funny a few weeks back arriving at the meeting point in jandles. Then pulled my boots out of my pack. I cant drive in boots
@geeves I get huge cramps in my shins if I try to drive in boots. No idea why!
Two days ago I had to stop the car whilst getting cramp, post tramp. In the replacement undone, lightweight boots my ankle could flex and there was no problem. The strain of the rigid ankle in the big boots was more than my muscles could cope with.
if you're not carrying a heavy pack on rough tracks, lightweight mid boots or trail runners can be worn, they arent for everyone, weak ankles don't help with running shoes, people have different results. having some sort of sole stiffness can help, i prefer footwear that you can't cork screw the soles easily. i find soles that are too flexible causes me sore forefeet if i have a pack on. my preference is mid height boots, which are essentially beefed up running shoes
Driving in boots could almost be a branched thread. My last boots I could drive the 4wd in if they were unlaced to the ankle then tied there. I still use those boots 4wding although no longer suitable to tramp in. In the car though I cant feel the pedals. My current boots cant feel the pedals in either 4wd or car so I just wont drive in them. I could wear normal shoes but jandals are easier to change at the road end. I dont drive in jandals either but they are easy to slip off and drive in bare feet. Might not be so great for passengers but no one complains or hurriedly winds down windows.
Yeah re: my other post, I made the switch to trail shoes rather than boots ages ago now, outside full winter conditions. When I first started back in the UK and Europe, I really noticed the difference (good) after a long day tramping. The weight saving is significant on lightweight trail running shoes v hiking boots, probably 4-6 times the same difference as weight in your pack. I think the ankle support of hiking boots is a bit of myth too, if you're a active healthy person without ankle issues you don't need the 'extra ankle support'. Indeed the only time I've injured my ankle walking was years ago when I slipped badly and wen over on my ankle, and I was wearing a pair substantial Scarpa Mantas. Also much easier to wear in a pair of trail shoes. This is a decent article re: lightweight footwear http://www.christownsendoutdoors.com/2014/01/why-lightweight-footwear.html a UK guy, though a few references to lbs and oz for the US market!
+1 to everything @lloydy said. I been a convert to trail runners since about 5-6 years ago. Most of my tramping is on and off track, ridges and streams (Tararuas mainly) so not hardcore off-track or alpine stuff. Trail runners work really well in these conditions. I still choose to use stiffer boots when appropriate though. It's a matter of choosing the right gear for the environment. The Saucony Xodus are my current favourite shoes and have been remarkably robust and grippy for me while tramping. It has a really thick and chunky vibram sole for a trail runner, and is comparable to most "lightweight" boots in this regard. I use the non-Goretex version as it allows the water to drain out much faster while walking, and the shoe also dries quicker as well. I have found the cushioning more than adequate and the sole rockplate works very well. I sized up a whole size over normal so my wide feet could fit them. I buy them online for about $100 delivered. I have also used Innov-8 295/315's and Salomon Fellraiser's previously. These models were all good in mud/rocks/roots, but I found them slick on smooth wet surfaces such as river stones. To improve the life of the uppers, I coat all seams in a air-curable polyurethane product called McNett Seam-Grip. I also use Seam-Grip to create a rand around the lower parts of upper and over the toes. That allows the uppers to last as long as the sole tread, although for me the midsole is the thing that wears out (collapses) first. The trail runners last me about 40-50 days tramping when seam-gripped.
question: do you not get bruizing of the soles of your feet from sharp rock etc when loaded up in runners? Have tried runners occasionally when trapping riverbeds - far nicer when youre in and out of water. But not good when carrying traps. My asics trabuco (and even lightweight boots) give me that trouble - with a heavy pack you feel every stone underfoot. Or are the runners you're recommending thicker / stiffer soled than normal runners?
What works for someone won't necessarily work for another person. Personally I almost exclusively use trail shoes, the leather boots are only used when I'm going to have to strap crampons on them. I have done 8+ day tramps with a fair bit of off track/river stuff in shoes. I don't bruise my feet - might be that with years of practise I've learnt how to avoid this or it might just be me as I don't recall ever bruising them. Thanks for the tip on McNett Seam-Grip - I find it is the stiching in shoes that gives out first so will give this a go to see if i can extend the life of them.
1–10 of 16

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by hutchk
On 2 August 2016
Replies 15
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown