My Hollyford trip

1–10 of 12

Well what a trip i had the worst weather since 1994 and i survived it.The front hit me at Martins Bay in 4 hours we had 250mm rain and wind gusts up to 200kph i have never seen weather like this in my life and it was a bit of a worry. I walked 7 of the 10 days not to bad i think and got to Gunns camp stuffed big time i will put the story up and pics as soon as i finish writing it PS Peter you had the best weather in about 2 months
Sounds like fun lol did you do it when all those trampers were getting air lifted out from milford?
Not just the Milford, we were also airlifted out from the Routeburn as well. Two days in the Howden hut with very little to eat..........the weakest were looking a tad worried...!
Yes it was the same time and the Milford road was closed for 4 days i got out with the help from the couple who run Gunns Camp and the boss of the road crew who were fixing the road and tracknet.Everybody went out of there way to help me as i was in a sorry state tired,wet ,cold and coverd in mud.The gunns camp guy told tracknet and the road crew i was the most urgent person to get out The Milford road was trashed trees,rocks,bolders and several sections had sunk into huge holes the road boss said this is the worst he has seen in many years.Thinking back i would do it again as i dont think i would get a storm like that again. I will post the whole story in the next few days and you will stuned with the amount of damage on the track IE: 3 wire bridge with only 2 wires left etc Lindsay
Well, how lucky were we! We had heavy rain on the first night, then none until 2nd last day out. I feel for you Lindsay, as I thought it was bloody hard, the Demon Trail, and we had good weather for that day. I will update the trip and post some pics as I get organised. Norm, bad trip too?
Lindsay, did you jet boat out?
Great trip, except for the last couple of days stuck in the Howden Hut, missed the flight back to Sydney. Cost a fortune to get home........!
Peter i did get the boat out and that is a story as well
I am still in the process of the story and pics,i would still like to walk in and out some time in the future
Lindsay, going through my pics now, been too busy trying to organise our house sale, which has had heaps of drama, plus our credit card hacked for $5000 while in NZ. Moving to the Sunshine Coast on 3rd May. I'll keep trying on the pics and write up. Cheers.
1–10 of 12

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by lgwaddel
On 3 April 2010
Replies 11
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown