family tents in New Zealand

I am new to NZ, wanting to start camping around north part of north island to explore nz, need to tent to start with. have 2 kids. so need a 4 person or 6 person family tent.. we won't go camping in terrible whether, nor wild place at this stage. (and, we travel by car) can you please share your ideas about family tents in NZ, and experiences on using them? thanks
My sister owns a Kiwi Camping tent, quite large three seperate rooms. Weighs about 30kg so would not want to carry it any great distance. They are no good if the wind gets up so choice spots with good shelter or a fine forecast. Many brands make them, Kathmandu, Coleman and Kiwi Camping are probably the main ones on the market now. Probably best to get one with two or more rooms, so one room can be dedicated for sleeping and another for playing and living.
I don't have a lot of experience with camping tents but I am a bit concerned with some of the modern ones that seem very large and are made of very light materials. A family tent has a very large wind footprint and I wonder how well some of these would fare in any sort of breeze. If I were in the market for one of these tents I think I would be looking at good, old fashioned, honest to god canvas. When going camping Kiwis tend to think of long sunny days by the beach. Judging by the images seen on TV of sodden people evacuating camping grounds when any sort of extreme weather goes through, I don't think many people consider the real reason for having a tent when they go camping.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by worraps
On 23 March 2010
Replies 2
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown