Duct tape, trekking pole and tent pegs

Sarah bought a pair of carbon fibre poles about 7 years ago because they were lightweight and on special of $80. They have served her well but at the weekend, the inevitable happened and one of them snapped when crossing a steep, rock fall. It went into a fissure and weight came onto it's shaft where it pushed against a rock. Not good as we were on very rocky ground for the next 2 days. She carried on using it, broken, for an hour until I suddenly thought that, for the first time ever, I was carrying some duct tape! I also realised our tent pegs are aluminium with a concave/convex shaft for strength. Would you believe the concavity was identical to the shape of the pole shaft at the break! Thus I splinted 3 pegs onto it and Hey Presto! a perfectly usable pole for the remainder of the trip. Thank you, whoever suggested to always carry some duct tape! By the way - we did the St Arnaud Range - absolutely gorgeous with heaps of choice of tarns to camp by!
I'm sure tramping has taught us to be innovative with our limited resources. Nice one, Deepriver.
Haha great story, I love a good duct tape fix. I used to flat with a Gaffer, the ones that work on film and tv? They're called gaffers because basically all they do all day is fix things with gaffer tape, that's what he told me.
A few long burly cable ties, dental floss and a big sharp needle are in my repair kit, along the leukoplast tape (sticks much better an seems stronger than duct tape). I don't know what they make dental floss out off but a short 10 stitch seam has fixed a shoulder strap to one of my packs without breaking for a couple of years. Cable ties are great for replacing buckles, splints, handcuffs for unruly people who overbook huts...
>Cable ties are great for replacing buckles, splints, handcuffs for unruly people who overbook huts... love it!

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by deepriver
On 9 February 2016
Replies 4
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown