Pros and cons of new, lightweight sleeping mats

Just had a try of my wife's new Neo-Air X lite and it was horrible! Nowhere have I seen anything about it being plastic and sweating on it. The weather was warm ,and I am a warm sleeper thus, even though I use a silk inner I tend to toss around and fling off bedding. Thus I end up with bare flesh on whatever I'm sleeping on. No problem with the old, trusty 3/4 length Thermarest but raw plastic against the flesh is just not on! And there's no doubt the plastic is not conducive to a good night's sleep for a menopausal woman with hot flushes! Thus, even though the thought of 70 mm of comfort and half the weight is attractive I'm going to stick with the 20+ year old 3/4.
High tenacity Nylon on the NeoAir XLite ($399) sux huh ?. Shame. I use an Exped Synmat UL7. They still carry it at Bivouac ($169). It's a polyester fabric. No probs staying on that at all. Finding the mat is slightly deflated by morning after a few years use. Still don't bottom out on it yet. Would be very desperate to ever consider going back to the 25mm honey-coned mat.
The problem wasn't staying on the mat, although Sarah did mention sliding off it once or twice, it was the feel of that clammy plastic on the skin which I didn't like. As I lay on my old 25mm/30mm? Thermarest I realised I never feel uncomfortable on it, never really 'bottom out', so why change it? I've got a big pack so its bulk is no problem, the only small difference is the weight - difference of 400gms, or so.
I have a couple of the old defunct brand Pacific outdoors mats and they dont seem sweaty at all but they can be slippery and a tad narrow for me. Inflated they are 500mm wide and 50mm high. laying on your back in a roomy sleeping bag your arms fall off the matteress which wouldnt be an issue on a 10mm high bed but you notice on a 50 A few times the mat has walked many meters across a hut floor during the night
Just came off 6 nights on the Five Passes with the Exped Synmat UL7 I bought in December. I tried the Neo-AirX in the store but it felt like an inflated rubbish bag. I sleep the same, toss and turn and throw cover on and off as needed and often sleep bare on the mattress. Synmat was fine, but I would have had trouble with the Neo. Also just the noise they make when you move would be off putting.
I've the Neo Air X Lite and really like it, I always use a liner, and indeed in the last month that's all I've needed, and I find it's really comfortable. Very easily inflated, and no issues with it losing pressure, though will await more usage before giving it top marks, as I similar but slightly heavier Exped mattress that developed an untraceable leak after a couple of years. My only problem with the Neo Air X Lite is getting back in it's storage bag. Why the need to make it such tight fit I don't know? even more of a faff when using it out in the field. I've discarded it and I'm using an old Exped storage bag, and it's a very much easier fit.
I love my NeoAir, no minuses whatsoever. Might even buy a second shorter version. Have had no problems getting it to fit in the storage bag, just need to wrap it up twice.
Would putting the sleeping mat inside a sleeping bag liner solve the comfort & sliding problems, add to the warmth rating & possible protect from micro- punctures ?. Could you have simple tie-offs at the liner opening to keep the inflatable contained within ?. https://i.vimeocdn.com/video/99608224.jpg
I love my Neo air x-lite. Hands down best piece of equipment I have bought. Unsurprisingly much more comfortable than the $10 foam mats I used before but also way better than the bed at home. I would sleep on it every night if the wife would let me! Never had a problem with sliding, squeaking, slipping sweating or packing it back in it's bag. (Only thing that annoyed me was I had to buy the bag separately.) I'm far from a deep sleeper but have no problems when I need to move around on it. Not sure what people are doing who are falling off it/sliding around the hut!

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by deepriver
On 9 February 2016
Replies 8
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown