Jet Boil stoves

Hi there, I'm not new to tramping but am new to this site. Ive recently started doing a lot of tramping on my own and am after others' advice about the lightest stove out there. On long and winter trips we always take the MSR white spirits burner and we also have a small light gas cooker which we take on short trips, but we usually tent and it is pretty inefficient in the wind. So I've been wondering about purchasing a Jetboil. I usually dehydrate all my own food, so cooking is mainly about the need to boil water. What is the lightest stove available?
23 comments
21–23 of 23

We are Jetboil fans,other than that the ignition clicker keeps going on the blink.I don`t really care that it boils water quickly,as I can while away an hour at the drop of a hat.The bonus for me is the weight/bulk saving on multiday trips.On a 16 day tramp we saved 1.6kg in gas c/f the cooker that screws on can.A passing chopper in the Pyke once asked if we wanted anything taken to Gunns Camp & we jettisoned a few cylinders;admittedly,we used hut or camp fires when available.Maggie also made up a beany-like sleeve with a foil inner.You cook for half the time & simmer in the sleeve for the rest.Much like Honoras sleeping bag idea,on steroids.
Well the whisperlite previous to the present one had a rotary knob, that if you persisted you could get to simmer. The newer version has this springy clip thing that some wet behind the ears designer adopted because they thought it was cool. It is not cool. I want my old one back.
The Dragonfly has the same clip as do most superlight gas stoves. Its not the problem. The first shakerjet whisperlite alsohad the generator coil further from the burner and at low settings doesnt vaporize the fuel. The latest ones have refixed this and the earlier ones didnt need fixing
21–23 of 23

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by TramperJoe
On 5 November 2015
Replies 22
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown