Jet Boil stoves

Hi there, I'm not new to tramping but am new to this site. Ive recently started doing a lot of tramping on my own and am after others' advice about the lightest stove out there. On long and winter trips we always take the MSR white spirits burner and we also have a small light gas cooker which we take on short trips, but we usually tent and it is pretty inefficient in the wind. So I've been wondering about purchasing a Jetboil. I usually dehydrate all my own food, so cooking is mainly about the need to boil water. What is the lightest stove available?
23 comments
11–20 of 23

Agreed - if the food has bigger bits in it than rice, then it's necessary to simmer for a few more minutes (2- 5) to ensure everything is evenly heated through before taking it off. Still I've pulled this trick on all sorts of meals with great success - not just rice and dehyd.
If I am heading off on a long trip and want to go as light as possible, i will cook and dehydrate my rice and pasta before I go if I have time. It is lighter to carry and then really only does require boiling water poured over it before its wrapped up in the sleeping bag to rehydrate nicely. Its a great way to save on weight with the food and the fuel. Hmm... Lots to think about here, thanks for all your feedback. May have to visit an outdoor store tomorrow to check out some stoves. I can feel a long trip coming on...
You can also just leave Pasta soaking in cold water, it would soften after a while... then heat. Saves a bit of gas.
For a weekender why not take real food but definatly dehy for multi day trips
I cook and dehydrate all my own tramping food so even for a weekend I have the pleasure of taking real food that is light and delicious and doesn't need cooking! Way to go I reckon!!
I bought a Furno stove (99 grams) several years ago with the intention of upgrading it but haven't got around to it yet. Boils water in 3 minutes, works OK in the wind (I'll build a windbreak with pack, boots and whatever else is handy if required), weighs nothing and maintains a nice simmer. Pretty low tech, but works for me.
For lightweight I use a Halo Peak voodoo titanium stove. Weights 48g and RRP is $59. Does a good job of boiling water as long as you aren't asking it to heat up half the river! I had written Jetboils off as a bit of a gimmick but did a Kaweka-Kimanawa Traverse with a mate who had one and I do admit it boiled water very quickly when using its pot. Not sure what one goes like if you use a normal billy.
Aye. @Dodgydave. Kitchen digital scales & a measuring jug & a clock with a sweep second hand. 500ml water, brought to a rolling boil, took about 20 seconds longer & used 1 extra gram of gas on a tripod burner with billy vs my Jetboil. Big mistake, I reckon, is people with billies boil more than 500ml water at a time. Takes longer & uses more gas. Makes the Jetboil look better than it is.
I often tramp with a group and its communal cooking. Not uncommon for first up in the morning to put on a billy with enough water for everyones porridge and coffee. 4 people 2 cups each is a healthy 2 litres of water. More if you do dishes If there are more people 2 billys and cookers
"You can also just leave Pasta soaking in cold water, it would soften after a while... then heat. Saves a bit of gas." A mate suggested we do that, and I said it would dissolve and it did! Those instant noodles wouldn't dissolve but now that I know about the preservative that's in them I wouldn't recommend that anyone eat them. I use the 'haybox' method mentioned above. I insulate the billy from the sleeping bag with my silk sleeping sheet. Frank usually carries part of a newspaper so that goes on first against the billy. I have used a simmerplate on my MSR Whisperlite. It's just the lid of a can which must somehow disperse heat.
11–20 of 23

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by TramperJoe
On 5 November 2015
Replies 22
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown