Te Araroa / Great Walks pack list

Hi everybody, I'm planing to go some of the great walks in the end of this year starting on the north island in end of October and finishing the south island in the beginning of February. On my tracklist are the following walks: Cape Reinga Coastal Walkway, Lake Waikaremoana, Tongariro, Whanganui, Around Mount Egmont, Queen Charlotte, Abel Tasman, Heaphy, Harpers and Arthurs Pass, Routeburn, Kepler, Milford Track, Breast Hill, Rees Dart, Dusky, North West Circuit (Stuart Island). I have taken a lot of thoughts about my packlist but nevertheless I'm pretty new to overnight tramping. So it would be great to hear what you think about my packlist. Google-Sheet under https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14lXhyBJZKrzNqfB9ZDamH7NwzqckPtfby9p1qz2TyF0/edit?usp=sharing - How can I optimize my pack? - What's unnecessary? - What's missing? - Which shoes? Hiking boots or trail runners? (especially under considerations of the alpine walks and Dusky and Stuart Island) - How much of everything do I need for my first-aid-kit? Thanks a lot in advance and best regards Alex
45 comments
11–20 of 45

Great link @JETNZ @Waynowski I wasn't being funny. I read all your comment but I disagreed with a part of it. I think you don't necessarily take criticism too well. I may however, be wrong and you can take it like a pinch of salt. Anyway...what's that saying?? "Better to have it and not need it; than to not have it and need it" Have a great day :)
@geeves: Curious. What's the reasoning behind ' Avoid (drinking) turbulent water'
my understanding is the bugs like giardia get distributed around the turbulent water and sink in still water, not sure about other bugs..
G'day Alexespunto. Doubt you'd want to carry 3L of water, tho it would be a useful water holder overnight. 1 litre, refilled as you go, will get you anywhere. Being able to sip from a tube while on the move, is a big plus. Why waterproof matches & a lighter ?. Seems like an unnecessary double-up. I'd go with a lighter. Can hold it's flame longer and tolerate wetness better. Bug repellent ?. I'd go with 'sandfly' more than 'mosquito'. You'll find out when you do The South :) Going to be bloody hot wearing a bug face net. Repellent & keep moving. Not usually troublesome in huts if people are sensible. Double skin tent is good. Outer fly keeps off weather, but allows ventilation in & out. Mesh inner cocoon allows you to breath while keeping out murderous sandflies. You'll find out :) Haven't had much luck with duct tape wound around trekking poles. Makes it easy to recognise your own, but tape works better if not pre-used. We'd call your 'pipe' a 'whistle'. Easier than shouting for a number of days. Keep attached to you in case you unfortunately get seperated from your pack. Might want to consider a small bar of soap or Sea To Summit multi-wash, rather than hand sanitiser ?. Hand, hair, body, laundry & food container washing are simple comforts. Something like a Chux Multi Cloth is handy. 1st Aid ?. Stop the bleeding, kill the pain. If you can't walk out to help, hit the PLB. Good thinking to include PLB !!!. Blister type-bandages, strapping tape, healing ointment & WASP CREAM eg Stingose, could be handy ?. A small mirror ?. A sharp cutter ?. I prefer a box cutter. A length of string that you can use as a clothes line, replacement bootlace or for quick repairs ?. I wouldn't bother with a trowel. I would take some bum wipe & a tooth brush. Almost forgot ! Second pair of lightweight footwear. Runners or those highly fashionable Croc thingys ?. Don't wear boots inside of huts. Crocs are chick magnets.
Further thoughts: The Hubba floor rating of 3000mm is perhaps a bit low without a footprint. First Aid: Blister block or include the Leukoplast waterproof tape (blue canister). Medipulv Antiseptic Powder 25g. Hope you mean "sunscreen" not suntan lotion? The Osprey Exos 58 should come with its own whistle, built in to the sternum strap clip. Consider a broad rimmed hat, or a cap with skirt (OR Sun Runner Cap is good). Packliner for pack? Small dry bag for camera? Accessories: most useful little item are these straps. Countless times I've used them, versatile and strong. http://www.bivouac.co.nz/gear/travel-and-urban/travel-accessories/sea-to-summit-20mm-accessory-straps.html
"The tank was drained and "...skeletons of little hands and tails were seen at the bottom…" In some parts of the world that would be called 'soup' ;) I find water from many of the newer polyethylene tanks, even several years old, often has a very slight plastic taste to it. It's most likely completely safe or at least into the many many parts per million, but you just can't beat cool river water that has flowed over gravel for miles, especially where the likelihood of a cow further upstream is highly unlikely. If given the option and I consider it to be low risk I'll take river water every time. Last time I was at Hawdon hut for example, I collected river water for cooking and drinking and only used the tank water for washing.
@Pro-active - Water you carry depends on how much you sweat. I'll drink 3L while walking in colder winter conditions, then more at the hut. In hot summer can to 4-5L plus more in the evening.
@evo, remind me not to stand to close to you on a trip :D
@waynowski - hug it out?
@ EvoSmith. 1st week of March 2015, called into DoC before going uphill to Bushline Hut, Robert Ridge, Nelson Lakes. They suggested current drought meant hut tank might be empty. Big rush to get 3 litre water contains which we filled and added to our packs. Got up there to find water supply was okay & they hadn't mentioned the untouched water supply at the padlocked ski hut 5 minutes further up. We didn't carry those extra bottles of water the rest of the week, but I can still remember the difference that 3kg made. I can only speak for myself. Easy enough to replenish a plastic bottle or bladder as you hike thru. Did you miss that "re-filled as you go" bit ?. I've heard of the ultralite suggestion of just clipping a cup to your pack straps and grabbing as you pass falls & streams. A day hike without natural water sources is different. Which reminds me, Alexpunto, you might want a map or 2 ?. I use the philosophy, if I'm not having to pee regularly, then the water isn't getting all the way through.
11–20 of 45

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by alexespunto
On 24 August 2015
Replies 44
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown