OR / Arcteryx gear

1–10 of 16

Bivouac have a lot of stuff at half price at the moment (for anybody who hasn't noticed). You will have to tolerate being seen in last season's gear though :-)
shock horror, last seasons colours heaven forbid, my tramping wardrobe is full of outrageous coloured gear that didn't sell well and got heavily slashed in price... I read about some americans approaching some kiwis on a track asking them if they were kiwis. the kiwis asked how did they know? the americans said because kiwis often don't bother colour coordinating their clothes..
My partner made the mistake of wearing stripy polyprop leggings and shorts on a 'ramble' on the Yorkshire Moors - never again!
Yeah, Biviouac has had the clearance on OR / Arcteryx for a couple of months now. They also have 30-50% off their Patagonia gear, but they are not advertising that. Actually several NZ retailers have comparable discounts on Patagonia clothing.
I bought an Arcteryx Zeta jacket a week or so back, and so far very happy with the fit and construction. The thing that gets me about Arcteryx is their liberal use of various grades of Goretex on some jackets. I understand the need to be competitive and meet certain consumer expectations for weight etc, but it all gets a bit silly when they mix it up over so many products. I spent ages online trying to decide and 2 visits to the store before I decided. I was like a kid in a candy shop. Why can’t life be simple ;) “One jacket to rule them all, One jacket to clothe them, One jacket to give them all and in the rainstorm dry them”
Patagonia no longer has a distributor for NZ. shame, its good gear, I picked up a couple of fleece vests overseas, they had a very limited range here in NZ. I've been told I look like a goat herder in their fluffy vests.
Yeah Patagonia makes some pretty good gear (I rate their Capilene base layers), but the NZ market is so saturated with decent to good gear that it really comes down to price so easily understand how Patagonia failed to make a impact.
As much as I like my Arcteryx gear, their rain jackets are a bit too short… very few around with a decent length that extends well past the belt of your pack. Who wants a wet crotch! Macpac and ESS make longer ones but they tend to be bulky and heavy. A rain skirt might be the answer. Thanks Wayno for the link: http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/cloudkilt.shtml This might just raise more eyebrows that striped polyprop leggings?
IMO would be a horrible thing to wear during a gusty norwest storm.
Not sure I'd fancy walking into a bar in Balclutha wearing it either.
1–10 of 16

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by hutchk
On 18 August 2015
Replies 15
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown