IS ANYBODY GOING TO HIKE AROUND NEW ZEALAND?

Hey there!! I m going to NZ in the end of november and i d love to go around it and do many hikes! Does anybody can suggest me a good company tour? Are all very expensive so i was thinking to do it by myself but i d like to know if someone else is planning to do the same! It d be better if i do this with someone! Thank youu!🌸
23 comments
11–20 of 23

Hi everybody, I'm also planning a trip to New Zealand in Dec/Jan. I'm keen to complete some hikes and explore this wonderful country. I was initially keen to purchase a Stray (Hop on/hop off pass) and was wondering if this bus system may affect my tramping plans :P Could anybody please give me some advice? Should I just take the public transport around NZL instead? And in this case, my only concern would be: Is it be difficult to find hostel along the way since it the Summer season and it seems like it'll be packed? (cause stray would definitely offer me an accommodation to stay at every stop). Looking forward to all your responses and hopefully we can cross paths over there! (;
Intercity goes to more places then Stray. They also have a hop on/hop off pass. Hostels will be busy, yes. If you can plan a few days in advance an avoid the Christmas/new years period you'll have more luck.
Hi Guys ! I'm heading to NZ on Saturday. I've got no plan fixed yet but I would love to do some multi walks with some company ! Not sure about the great walks as it is not possible to book it online. Does the online booking works only during the summer season ? What happens if I get there and all the campsites all full ? Can I still wild camp somewhere ? I'd like to do Tongariro on the North Island, Abel Tasman and maybe Milford Sound or Kepler track if the weather allows me to do it. If some of you would be around NZ in October, maybe we can make a plan to meet and eventually hike together ! Looking forward to it !!! :-) Jenny
Hi Jenny, What do you mean not possible to book the Great Walks online? Note that for the Great Walks you are only booking accommodation, not the track itself. You don't need to book the track, just the huts or campsites. https://booking.doc.govt.nz/ Wild camping on the Great Walks is prohibited within a short distance of the tracks but technically possible on others. A good example is the valley next to Routeburn Flats Hut where there is a lot of space for camping well away from the track (I believe the distance is 500m / 1000m depending on the track). However, in general freedom camping near the Great Walks is discouraged as the tracks are very busy and the environmental impact from a lot of freedom campers can be an issue. Those tracks you've chosen will give you a good variety. You might want to consider an overnighter to Welcome Flat Hut on the West Coast too. There are other options that will get you away from the crowds but still be relatively easy walking if you're interested. Depends where you're going to be travelling...
Thanks Matthew ! I'll in NZ till the end of October. I know the online booking is for accomodation. I'd like to stay in few DOC campsites on the Great Walks. but when I'm checking the availability during October, it is written that it is not possible to book because it is either out of season or fully booked. So I believe it is not possible to book accommodations online before the start of the walking season. I've got a huge list of other walks people advised me to do but mostly one day hike ! So I'll figure out what to do when I get there I guess ! If you have any suggestion, I'm up for it :-) Cheers Jenny
bookings for a lot of the great walks huts and campsites aren't required till the end of October, before then you don't need a booking to stay at them..
@Yarmoss Hey thank you so much for that piece of information! I will definitely check out intercity when I'm planning my trip!
Hiking around New Zealand on your own is probably not a good idea. Even though it is very expensive it is safer to hike through an organisation or accredited tour company. Though it seems there are a lot of people who would love to join you, so perhaps you can find a group to go with if it's about the money aspect. I have enjoyed tramping along the South Island and have been fortunate enough to hike along the Meuller Hut Route in the Mount Cook National Park on the South Island. It is truly spectacular. It was an overnight hike though, I warn you. But that was such a phenomenal experience. Happy tramping!
Hey guys, I'm arriving in Auckland on the 5th of November: I was planning the Cape Reinga (Te Paki) tramp followed by strolling around the north island. Afterwards I planned the: - Northern Tongario Circuit - Traverse Sabine Circuit - Copland Track - Rees-/Dart Track also its closed and I have to search for an alternative. Nothing booked yet and I'm flexible on the dates / tracks. Anyone wanna join me? Wanna fly back to auckland on the 13th of December... Best Regards, Sebastian
Doing that all in a month is pretty ambitious
11–20 of 23

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by Sofia
On 10 August 2015
Replies 22
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown