IS ANYBODY GOING TO HIKE AROUND NEW ZEALAND?

1–10 of 23

Hey there!! I m going to NZ in the end of november and i d love to go around it and do many hikes! Does anybody can suggest me a good company tour? Are all very expensive so i was thinking to do it by myself but i d like to know if someone else is planning to do the same! It d be better if i do this with someone! Thank youu!🌸
Where to begin? Yes, guided hikes are far, FAR more expensive than going it alone (but far, FAR safer). But there are lots of operators you can use just for good advice and transport to and from tracks (that's if you don't have a car or for tracks that inter-city buses don't go past). Doing trips that way might also help you team up with other hikers. For an overview I recommend you read Lonely Plant Hiking NZ books. Our different areas differ enormously on difficulty and risk. The best way to improve your chances of coming out of the wilderness alive is to have another person on the hike with you (and a locator beacon). A lot of solo hiking takes place but this a very big gamble if you are not experienced in our conditions. And if you aren't already, start working out on hills. Carry a loaded backpack up the biggest hills you live near (unless you're in Kathmandu perhaps ;)). If you don't NZ terrain will quickly exhaust and endanger you.
@Sofia Without some idea of your experience and background it's very hard to advise you properly. There are plenty of really easy tramps in this country, but on the other hand every year about a dozen people die in our mountains. Most of the experienced people here have all had close calls at some time in our lives, and we tend to be quite cautious when it is other people we are advising.
If you're backpacking i.e. travelling low budget and staying at Backpackers, you'll meet other travellers with the same ideas. It's easy to join up with them and do some trips. DoC and this site are good places to find out what trips to start off doing. The weather can still be a bit unsettled in November (in fact any time of the year) as the norwest winds can be frequent and these are the winds that bring heavy rain to the high mountains.
Hi Sofia, I'm in the same spot as you are, going to NZ end of September. Alone and eager to tramp a lot and be in nature as much as possible. I will "practice" for a bit until end of November so maybe we could team up once you get there! Cheers, Michael
Hi everybody, I will arrive in the middle of October in Auckland and eager to do some Great Walks and some smaller ones. My current plans, although they will probably change, are the following: Cape Reinga 25.10. - 28.10.2015 Tongariro 06.11. - 10.11.2015 (already booked) Whanganui Journey 11.11. - 15.11.2015 Wellington -> Picton 21.11.2015 Abel Tasman Track 27.11. - 29.11.2015 (already booked) Milford Sound 11.12. - 14.12.2015 (already booked) Routeburn Track 19.12. - 20.12.2015 (already booked) Besides this I'm planning to go and see as much as possible from the following walks: Lake Waikaremoana, Around the mountain (Taranaki), Queen Charlotte Track, Heaphy Track, Harper Pass, Kepler Track, Dusky Track and Stuart Island. Milford Sound would be great as well, but probably impossible without already booked huts or willingly to pay lots of money for a guided tour. Or is there some possibility without a guided tour and not yet booked huts? So it would be awesome to join up with you for one or some parts of my journey. I would be glad to hear from you!
Hi all -- i'm in the same boat. I'll be in NZ for December and January, and possibly February, travelling solo but looking to as much hiking and adventuring as possible. Would be nice to have others to hike with for safety reasons. I'll be bike touring for the first 3 weeks of my trip, then nothing else planned. Perhaps our paths will cross!
@Sofia Hi Sofia, I'm going to South Island from 18th of November and landing to Quenstown - for 10 days. First planning to do the Kepler track and later go to Muller hut track. If you are interested in any of those and dates will suite you - please let me know. I live and work in Auckland - but will be traveling for holiday to South Island for 10 days. Thanks
Hello Travelers! I'm planning to see the beauty of New Zealand - is there anybody keen to join for South Island trip? Initial plan for around 3 weeks: Abel Tasman, Milford Sound, Wanaka, Queenstown, Routeburn Track or Kepler Track, Lake Tekapo with amazing Mt John Observatory :)
Hi Hanna, seems to be we have a good chance our ways could cross. I already booked Abel Tasman, Routeburn and Milford and plan to go Kepler as well. Do you already have bookings for Milford? I'm pretty lucky I got yesterday three huts after looking nearly every day the last two month on the booking system site. Anyway I would be glad to be in good company. Do you have a starting date?
1–10 of 23

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by Sofia
On 10 August 2015
Replies 22
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown