Waitawheta Tramway

Hi all, My partner and I are reasonably new to overnight tramping (she has only done the pinnacles and I have done a few more i.e Able Tasman, Pouakai Range, Mangatainoka hot springs). we are planning on tramping into the Waitawheta hut along the Waitawheta tramway from franklin Road on saturday and then back out the same way on Sunday. From What I have heard from DOC and seen on the map three of the six river crossing are not bridged. Are these river crossing difficult? Also is the track relatviley straight forward from the road end to the hut, i.e are there any tricky bits we should know about? Also can anyone suggest a good place to check the river level before we head off? As I understand the weekend looks good weatherwise but the tropical cyclone tracking the east of the country may bring heavy rain tonight or tomorrow. Cheers
I think you will be OK. This trip would be ideal for the level of experience that you have. I think a couple of new bridges have gone in since I was last there but from recollection the crossings were OK. They certainly aren't dangerous under normal conditions and I don't think there is any major rain in the forecast. From my experience with that hut I think your greatest fear will probably that it is overcrowded with lots of other snoring trampers. Have a great time
Cheers for the reply, We had a good tramp, nice and flat and the crossings were not to much of an issue, although it was a good chance to try out our new river crossing skills learnt at a recent mountain safety council course. Yes the hut was popular, luckily we had a friends tent to camp out in which meant we wearnt disturbed by all the snorers. However, it was nice to see a number of families out there enjoying the wilderness.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by jaybeedubya
On 18 February 2010
Replies 2
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown