Suggestions about sleeping bags

1–10 of 20

Hey everyone, Having some trouble making up my mind on a few sleeping bags. Ill start with what we (partner and me) intend to use them in what conditions. We have a mac pac Olympus tent, with exped down mat, we will be completing some of the Great walks and classic trails, we intend to do some light alpine walks and overnights and hopefully progressing to some more serious alpine trails in the future (year or 2) The bags i have been looking at in question are: Pathfinder (kathmandu) 710g 5°c/0°c/-16°c Columbus (kathmandu) 950g 3°c/-2°c/-20°c Exped lite 500 (Bivouac) 920g -2°c Latitude 500 XP (Mac Pac) 1100g 0°c/-6°c/-23°c The price difference between them aren't alot and on sale roughly the same. We will also be using them in other months not just winter ( i know we need 2 realistically for this) but i dont see why we cant just open them up as a blanket for the hotter months. Any help on these or experience with any of them would be great. Suggestions on roughly the same price range would be awesome off sale 400-500ish On sale 200-300
Just to check out the sizes ?. No point buying a super-duper bag that doesn't fit. Maybe that's not an issue for you ?. Likewise, some are semi-rectangular vs mummy foot. If you're starting with summer trips, then a lighter weight bag is less of a load. By the time winter comes around again, you'll know if you need to upgrade.
We have tried both the mummy foot and the semi-rectangular bags and don't have a preference, also both under 6Foot so regular will do us nicely. Our next trip is August down Queenstown, and following that will be November for the Tongariro circuit. I mainly dont want to get one of the bags and find out that the other was the better choice.
Ah ! If you're okay with foot movement, shoulder width might be the other consideration ?. I can't tell you what's THE perfect bag for you. Each of those 4 have their own points of difference. You'd have to look at them for yourselves. One of the Kathmandu bags uses dryfill down. That might appeal ?. Personally, I have more than one bag to choose from. I wear more or less night clothing, adjust the zip or add a cover depending on the trip. If I wake during the night or early morning, I'll make adjustments too. Mostly I use a lightweight Macpac down bag. it was a goodly size, low pack weight, adequate for how I use it.
any of those bags will probably work fine - but its always a compromise. IMO for camping in a range of conditions I'd look at a box (mummy) foot with waterproof outer fabric with about 600g or more of 800+ loft down. And for warmth -select your sleeping mat/mattress with equal care. As you said - you can always open them up in summer but being cold at night is never fun.
You could try the Mountain Equipment Denali. https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/BBSLBRRM0/title/mountain-equipment-denalis-700g-std-sleeping-bag Currently $349.99 on club card but they were $249.95 on sale a while back when I bought 2 for my sons' They are a little heavier than the others you listed but very warm. My pick from your list though would be the Exped
I will personally reccomend the lite 500. I own one. Im too hot in it more frequently than I am too cold, and I do use it opened out a lot. I feel like the lite 500 could keep me warm at about -4 rather than -2, but that would depend on a few factors. Nice light bag, packs down small, well made, very warm. Enough said really. Id rate the workmanship on the exped bags above that of kathmandu ones. The pathfinder seems like it wouldnt go cold enough for many parts of the year, even up in the relative warmth of the nth is like I am.
Nearly bought the Exped lite 500 but was talked into the 700. Good advice as it's more versatile in the cooler months (and includes a draught collar). I feel the cold way more than my husband who often just sleeps with his bag unzipped.
I use a 'sleeping quit', which is just a sleeping bag with no back, the science being that any insulation you're lying on doesn't actually insulate and is wasted weight/bulk. Your under-insulation comes from your sleeping mat and, if cold enough, the sides of your quilt cinch around the mat and are held in place with ties. I got this http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/ At large, it's just over 500 gm, stuffs into a 2 litre dry bag and disappears in my 40 litre pack. Absolutely love it and happy to run it through 3 seasons (though I'm also happy to sleep in therms and fleece if need be).
Cunning plan: In the outdoors I've always liked to sit around outside stargazing and drinking tea before bed, so my feet are always cold when turning in and they take ages to warm, even in a big bag with down socks. One day in frustration I made a hottie out of my water bottle. Sorted!
1–10 of 20

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Ka'ga
On 15 July 2015
Replies 19
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown