Advice on GPS

1–10 of 16

Just started getting into bush walking etc. I have an old gps which barely gets a signal in the street let alone the bush. Can anyone here offer some advice on gps that have reliable coverage when in the bush? I don't have a lot to spend so cheaper is better, but it need to be reliable, because, my life. lol On a side note, is there somewhere to buy good detailed topographical maps anymore? As in paper? Or, well I don't know, as I said I'm new so please, educate me :)
the newest models have better coverage, you get what you pay for. garmin are better for map quality.
See http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=etrex-20-review Granted its kind of long review but it does answer your questions if you perservere. ;)
@Murdoch In regards to where to get paper topos, any good outdoor store should at least stock the ones relevant to your area Try Bivouac Outdoor, Macpac etc. I saw them in Whitcoulls once, but the dates on them were really old, so just be aware. Also you could print them off the net direct from the topo website.
Ok thanks guys. I'm seeing on a quick google search that I'm looking at $250-300 for an etrex 20? Is that about right?
Probably about that. On a related note if you're looking for a good retailer, http://www.kiwigps.co.nz/2-handheld (based in Chch but does mail order) is brilliant for knowledge and support, and could tell you in detail all about the differences between any models you're considering. You could also look second hand, but I've just checked TradeMe and am surprised by the distinct lack of Garmin GPSs being listed. I'd thought there'd be more. If you see something like an eTrex Vista HCx, which is from the previous generation, I highly recommend it as something roughly equivalent to something like an eTrex 30... as long as you don't care about the most recent features like wireless. Things to watch out for could be that the seal might have come apart, reducing water proofiness. If you buy a new one (Garmin eTrex range), make sure the first thing you do is to switch it on, then dunk it in the bath for half an hour. If it looks like it's failing then take it back for replacement under warranty.
print your own topomaps from topomaps.co.nz
I agree with Wayno about topomaps.co.nz, if you're looking at a very specific area. Or if you're looking at tramping a LOT of different small areas! But if you're wanting to explore a particular region ( like the area around where you live) thoroughly, you really can't go past the latest topo50 maps, which as mentioned, you get can from outdoor stores and even i-Sites sometimes. Just learn how to read a topo map properly. And when buying a compass, I'd highly recommend not buying a northern hemisphere compass. Go for either a southern hemisphere balanced one, or a globally balanced one, like a Suunto M3 Global (which I have and love)! Especially this far south, the variances are significant when reading a map. So in essence, get the most up-to-date map. If one map doesn't cover the area you want in it's entirety (even if it's just a 'little corner' of the map), buy the second or even third map needed to give you a good picture. St James Walkway is a good example! Get a good compass that works well in NZ. And learn how to accurately and efficiently combine your compass and map. That would be my suggestion. GPS is good, but unreliable at times. Particularly in a country that is called "Land of the Long White Cloud"! For me, GPS co-ordinates are a quick-reference point for emergency services if you've lost your map or, other than a simple co-ordinate, can't actually orientate yourself.
Looks like they're on sale right now $250. I'll have to see if I can afford it. One last question not at all related tot his thread. The hell, I can't take my dog anywhere up here (Whangarei) They're just blanket banned from every bloody thing. Turns out the kiwi aversion training means absolutely nothing other than some guy get's to shock the shit out of your dog.
There are also some online retailers that'll sell you any paper topo map you like. Or you can download giant TIFF files for free, but need to figure out printing. LINZ had also done a thing in the past where you can order paper maps direct at bulk prices, but it was necessary to order about 20 or more to make use of that. Sites like topomap.co.nz are brilliant but I normally have an official paper map of the area stashed away even if I've printed my own section of the area I want. Partly as a backup, but also keep in mind that when you print your own, you're likely to lose potentially useful info like grid references from the edges and the map key. Grid refs are especially useful if you have a gps and are trying to pinpoint the exact point on a paper map... Often much easier than trying to drive it from a map on the screen, imho.
1–10 of 16

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Murdoch
On 24 June 2015
Replies 15
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown