lightweight food for tramping

So, what's the beef with toasted marshmallows ?. Particularly on a stick. Just a modern mockery of the true recipe ?. As a tramping food, I class it with Pringles (in the non-crush tube), homemade baking & booze. Not survival essentials, but something that's a bit sociable.
13 comments
11–13 of 13

Yeah, olive oil has a low smoke point so shouldn't be used for cooking only added to hot food or used as a salad dressing/dip ingredient. It's easy to add to cooked meals being liquid. Food processers use trans-fat oils because they originate from corn/soy/rapeseed. These are temperate climate origin oils grown in North America on a huge scale. The American Corporations (I won't say food producers because this stuff ain't food) use smear tactics against tropical origin oils e.g. palm oil and coconut oil. Palm oil is OK as a food, but not too much is produced ethically in an environmentally sustainable way currently. But hey, if you want a very nasty crop that destroys soils, you can't go past tapioca under its various synonyms.
anchvies are only marginly better than sardine. If someone is eating sardines in a hut I eat outside. butter will only go off in fairly warm temperatures 10C and it will last a few weeks much more than that and it will deteriorate. If its for dressing a foil bake spud olive oil is at least as nice. Its good to have some sort of fat in foil cooking. Margarine will burn. Unsalted butter is better for cooking for the same reason but doesnt keep as well. For spreading sandwiches though I use marg. I know others views on this disagree. Each to their own on this. Its not a discussion opener.
Ha Ha. I had to laugh at your sardine comment, Geeves. Sometimes when Frank's eating his tin I think 'god, something's died around here' and then I realise it's just his sardines. Sorry I didn't see your marg post until I'd posted mine. I'm not saying a word. Frank eats the stuff too and I leave him alone.
11–13 of 13

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Food
Started by Pro-active
On 17 June 2015
Replies 12
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown