lightweight food for tramping

1–10 of 13

So, what's the beef with toasted marshmallows ?. Particularly on a stick. Just a modern mockery of the true recipe ?. As a tramping food, I class it with Pringles (in the non-crush tube), homemade baking & booze. Not survival essentials, but something that's a bit sociable.
1 deleted post from pipeking
Very sociable food-resembling type substance, marshmallows. Mandatory when young ones are going out tramping, especially round the campfire. Damper is good for that too, of course - filled with butter and jam. Thanks for the correction, FrankB. There may be a Malva Officinalis out there somewhere but not the same plant as the Marshmallow. I used the leaves of a Malva Neglecta for wrapping filling for dolmas one time. I had a Japanese professor today telling me how kumara baked in foil was a wonderful thing in the ashes. He has a bach and often does this. Oops, kumara is not lightweight but at least it's food, not heat expanded advanced glycation endproducts! On that note, cheezels make good firestarters apparently.
I can go along with the professor. Yep, not light weight, but well worth tossing one in the pack, they travel well, last a long time. Then when cooked, that wonderful smell as the tinfoil is opened, bit of pepper/salt, few drops of olive oil. What could be better.
Just bought a new dehydrator and vac sealer today. Which is sweet, because I need to make about 130 meals and just as many snacks. :)
I've tried dried dried anchovies instead of tinned fish recently. It only takes a small handful to flavour up a feed of rice or pasta. These, dried mixed veges and rice,pasta or rice/quinoa mix are a good light weight option especially where you can do stove or open fire cooking. [a draw back is that the dried anchovies have a strong smell that some people may find disagreeable? I like the taste of anchovies but others may not?]
@proactive sorry I thought we were actually still on another thread with a very similar name My bad :)
@glennj do you dry the anchovies yourself? I bought some and they were horribly tough even though I gave them a good soak. Maybe I should put them through the coffee grinder first!
Multi-purpose cheezels, huh ?. I'll stick with the first aid kit bottle of vodka, thanks. In theory it's a fuel ??? This time of year, things wrapped in foil you can throw into fire might well be worth hauling ?. Was on an 8-day trip this Summer and someone pulled out pita pockets & a tin of salmon in mayo for lunch on day 7. After a week of Back Country dehy & OSM bars, that was a stunner. Sort of moving off BCC, and back into instant spud. A little anchovy might be worth a try ?. Anybody gone a distance with a block of butter ?. Are those little hotel sachets a better bet ?.
Butter could go rancid possibly. When I did a week-long horse trek in Mongolia, the grooms had some of their own butter and it was a bit rancid but they were so used to it, not a problem for them. Given the choice now, I'd rather eat what they had than the margarine we had. Coconut oil doesn't go rancid though. It's a very stable fat. I often take that.
@honora Okay. That or Olive Oil, as someone suggested on a similar thread ? ;) I guess that's why food processors prefer trans-fat.
1–10 of 13

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Food
Started by Pro-active
On 17 June 2015
Replies 12
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown