Your camp stove

What kind of stove are you using? White spirits, or gas which do you use? I have a MSR Whisperlite and a Jetboil Flash but what I've been using recently is an old Kovea Backpacker canister stove because it is so light. Do you have a preference.
29 comments
11–20 of 29

Im using a kovea spider atm. Good stove works well. Only problem is canisters are a pain.
I break down my whisperlite after every trip longer than 4 days to give it a good clean. You get a lot of soot clogging up the jets on those white spirit stoves, especially if like me you use the cheap fuel. I wish there was some way to re cycle gas canisters as I hate all that metal going to waste. They cannot be put in the recycling in some areas of the country.
I had a kero generator on my whisperlite for a while, that was dirty but cheap... reminds me of a joke I heard the other day :)
Ali express have adapters that can be assembled to refill isobutane cartridges from either the cheap butane hairspray style bottles or a bbq cylinder. Everyone suggests that these can overfill the cartridge but you can overcome this by weighing the cartridges before filling then venting back down to the empty weight plus the amount shown on the can. Also neither of these options are isobutane so will not work as cold as the original. The bbq cylinder is filled with a propane butane mix these days not straight propane unless you are lucky enough to live near any of the 3 stations in the country that do pure propane. Dont put propane in these cartridges. Also it is ilegal in NZ to refill disposable cartridges but you wont get caught unless you blow yourself up first By cheap white spirit what are you using? I buy Calcite in a 20l container Last worked out about $6 a litre Best way is to go in with friends and buy one of these then split it into 3 or 4 1 litre bottles each. Everyone in Wellington on this forum is considered a friend but its against the law for me to onsell it at my cost If you get my drift
Very interesting about the adapters, Geeves. I read of a situation in Kosovo where during a seige, a family could fill cigarette lighters from an LPG canister and this trade plus the alcohol they'd looted from a bottle store when the SHTF helped them survive. Fascinating read. They used the alcohol as disinfectant for injuries from the fighting.
MSR Pocket Rocket. Haven't done anything longer where others are changing their stove.
The gas burners are very common now and work very well in all but the coldest of places Its just the cost of the fuel and the disposal of the cartridges thats the issue. I own 5 but I also own 4 Coleman tramping stoves 2 MSr white spirit stoves 2 Chines white spirit clones 3 classic Optimuses a USA military stove a UK military kero stove a few 2 burners and more brass flying saucer stoves than I can count on my fingers. I collect them as a hobby
@geeves excuse my ignorance but what is brass flying saucer stove?
Also known as discus The round flat primus solus and optimus kero stoves made by many manufacturers from around 1890 and still made and used in India today. Google primus 96 or hippilto 1 for a better view
I won a Kovea Backpacker stove which has worked without problem for two years. About the same time I bought a great Esbit pot with Heat Exchanger but over time I decided to get a smaller version. The smaller pot (also with HE) unfortunately is the wrong size for the stove (pot supports too short) - so I bought the MSR Pocket Rocket. The MSR pot supports turn red hot when in use which is apparently normal but I still don't like it. I prefer the Kovea.
11–20 of 29

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Mako6
On 15 June 2015
Replies 28
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown