Caples-Greenstone-Kepler

Arriving in Christchurch on March 13th and heading down to QT to do these tramps. If anyone wishes to join me and wants a lift please feel free to get in touch.
Hey Norm, Caples (and the McKellar Saddle) is great! (Although some what tiresome lifting your feet over the rocks and roots for six hours!) Id be interested to hear what the Greenstone is like when you have done it. Have fun!
Hi Lisa I did the Caples\Greenstone last year,i walked the Caples first then Greenstone,if you do it this way it is up hill most of the way,its a good track to start with all the way to the Greenstone Hut. The Greenstone Hut is great a Great walks style and size,its about 2 km off the track over the Greenstone river.The walk from Greenstone to McKellar hut is about 5 hours and allot of farm land watch out for cows and POO. When i did the section i had a rain Event it took 8 hours to do it and crossing the Greenstone River after rain is very dangerous the water level was around my waist but only about 4m wide. The mcKellar hut is a nice hut as well.Overall this is a nice track not as hard as Caples and has some very big drops to the river below Lindsay
Thanks for the info, and I'll let you know how it went Lisa. Still open for anyone who might like to join me for any of the tramps.
Walked it late last year. The plan had been Greenstone-Caples; but was changed due to forecast. When I was at McKellar Hut, forecast was good and clear for the next day; hence, I did not mind to walk back to the junction of Greenstone and Caples Tracks to head up to McKellar Saddle on which I was rewarded with excellent views of Humboldt and Darran Mountains.
Fingers crossed that I have the same luck, weather wise. Thanks for the information.
You'd have to be lucky Norm.
Hi Norm I'm sorry that I am having to cancel my trip to NZ this year. Still it's time for a break after four years on the trot.I shall look forward to next year, perhaps a bit earlier than march. David
No problem David. Anyone wishing to join me on any or all of these tracks are most welcome to get in touch.
Still looking for anyone interested in any of these tramps in March. Arriving Christchurch 13th March.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by normclimb
On 4 February 2010
Replies 9
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown