Lockett Range

Looking for info on the traverse of the Lockett Range starting from South of Waingaro Peak through to Mt Benson (I've been up onto the range from Diamond Lake and headed South East). Can you camp at the first large tarn just North of 1390? Any other water from here? Cheers Rob
Hi Rob Yes you can camp there and there is water a bit further on at some little tarns maybe an hour's travel towards Benson's Peak. Not sure where it was on the map but I recall it was after travel through some low scratchy beech forest on the spur. Actually I reckon the camping would be better here too. Especially if you're by yourself as you don't need a big footprint. I'd like to go back there some day and do a circuit of the low route from Sylvester Hut to Diamond and Ruby Lakes and then the high route back over Iron Hill. When we did it, we went via the Lockett Ridge from Fenella and then dropped down to the outlet of Lake Lillie and found the marked track of the low route which took us to Sylvester Hut. We did the whole thing from hut to hut in a day much to our surprise.
I have done reverse - Sylvester Hut to Diamond, up onto ridge and along to Iron Hill dropping down to lake next to Sylvester and back to hut - lovely camp spot northern end of Diamond Lake in the bush. Doing high route of Dragons Teeth at Easter - fingers crossed for good weather!
Just about to put up a post on the Dragon's Teeth route and the low route as this information is not yet on this site. Hope you got good wx and were able to do it so you can edit what I put up.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by RedRobin
On 1 February 2010
Replies 3
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown