Black wolf tents?

1–10 of 13

hey there, new to this forum although I've lurked for a while :). Thinking about buying a two person black wolf grasshopper tent, but can't find much information/reviews about black wolf tents in general. Was wondering if anyone out there uses one and their opinion on them? Just don't want to spend good money on one and regret it later! any opinions would be awesome Cheers Rachel
Hi Rachel, wellcome to the forum. What sort of use is your tent going to get, and how much are you wanting to spend? I use MSRs huba huba. It gets pitched anywhere in any weather and never let me down. They are a bit pricey though :-(
Hey lostone thanks for the reply. Yeah price is the issue really. I'm looking at under $450ish. I'm wanting to get more into tramping, mainly 2-3 day tramps with the odd longer trip, and would be willing to camp within the bush line so won't have to worry about an alpine tent. But want something really waterproof, reasonably roomy - will be mainly tramping with friends, and something that's going to last me a while - so pretty durable. Cheers Rachel
In terms of quality of manufacture MSR (Mountain Safety Research) and Black Wolf are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Black Wolf has picked up itself from the cheaper end of the market over the last decade and a half. That doesn't mean to say they are rubbish at all. It all depends on your usage.
At about 2.5 kgs, I would have said that's it's a bit heavy myself, but as has been said, it's more about how you would be looking at using it, I guess. Vau de range of tents are well worth a look. Just a thought.
Yea I was going to suggest Vaude. Might have to pay a little more than $450. I think The Vaude Hogan? was $550 last time I looked. A bit more money, but a lot lighter.
I just got my Tarptent Moment, landed cost just under $400 including additional pole. And I've just come in from the back yard where I have been seam sealing it :) At 810 grams including pegs, pole and stuff sacks (excluding 200g optional pole to allow free standing), this is light stuff, and a 1 person + pack tent only. It sets up in 1 minute with two stakes, has a waterproof floor and fully enclosed mesh inner. Tarptent have some good looking 2 person tents also, which only add very little to the overall weight. The Double Rainbow comes in at 1135g. http://www.tarptent.com/ I'll report back on its performance once I've had it out in bad weather and/or bad terrain. Unfortunately, there are about 4 weekends ahead of me where tramping is off the menu due to other commitments (DOH).
Unfortunately the Power Taurus Ultralight is even more expensive at about NZ$700, I think, but rated as one of the best tents Vaude have produced and getting some great reviews in Europe. In the end, like most things, you get what you pay for.....if you can afford it. Just wish I could.
thanks guys for all your replies. jeepers there's just too much choice! today a local outdoors shop was offering 25% off all their tents. There was a mountain hardwear meridian 2 tent , 2 person, 2020 grams. They put it aside for me for tomorrow if I'm still keen. Seems pretty good, lots of good reviews on the internet. Any one have any opinions on them? I'm still trying to stick to my self imposed budget of $450 at the moment - unless I win lotto! (not likely considering I never buy a ticket :(
I had a look at the web page on that tent and my only concern is that it is an Aussie tent and has a full mesh inner. You have to keep in mind that the Aussies think the main purpose of a tent is for keeping the flys off at night. They do say that this a below bushline, 3 season tent. However, I find that my tent is part of my insulation system even on the cooler summer nights and most certainly in the spring autumn and winter. Fot that reason I would want a little more than a mesh inner. Secondly I don't think one should be talking about price too early in the piece when it comes to tents. That also goes for things like sleeping bags and packs as well. You can expect these sort of things to last you most of your tramping career, if you look after them. For that reason I suggest you find the best tent that suits what you want to do and then consider the price. In NZ we can get servere weather at any time of year and I certainly don't want to be wishing I had spent a little more money on a better tent when I find the seams are comming apart in a Norwester. Often the difference in products is invisible things, like the waterproofness of the fabric, quality of stitching, UV protection etc. For that reason it is probably better to go for a brand that is well known and recommended in outdoor circles even though they might not be the cheapest on the shelf. MSR and Vaude have been mentioned and, though I don't have personal experience of those brands, they certainly have the pedigree. I have two MacPac tents. One is NZ made and the other made overseas. I don't see any decline in quality there and the original tried and true designs were for NZ conditions.
1–10 of 13

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Mayfly
On 1 February 2010
Replies 12
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown