Black wolf tents?

hey there, new to this forum although I've lurked for a while :). Thinking about buying a two person black wolf grasshopper tent, but can't find much information/reviews about black wolf tents in general. Was wondering if anyone out there uses one and their opinion on them? Just don't want to spend good money on one and regret it later! any opinions would be awesome Cheers Rachel
13 comments
11–13 of 13

Hey pmcke I do understand what you're saying about the price. The thing is I'm in my last year of nursing studies hence the tight budget. So I guess in a way I'm prepared for a tent that's going to hopefully last a few years, and then I would probably be looking at upgrading to something like the vaude or msr range. There seems some good tents like macpac and vaude secondhand on trademe but I'm a bit wary of buying a tent secondhand/unseen. So yeah, the mountain hardwear tent looks good and sounds like a fairly decent brand?
Can't argue with the master. Had I not purchased what I did based on weight, I was looking HARD at the Vaude and MSR for all the reasons pmcke outlined. That said, the Vaude "ultralight" 1 person tent comes in at a little under 2kg. For that it better last longer. For half the price and half the weight I may also get half the life. But it's 1.1 kg I'm not lugging around for that time. I also considered that you can't always get things right first time or your needs change, so banging all the dough into "the one" may be of a 50/50 call... Good thing is to keep asking the experienced people here, other online communities and in your own circle of friends. One of mine is out 2-4 days every week, with several 1-3 week stints during summer, ex Coast to Coaster, is in SAR, etc, and I just kept suggesting things to buy for myself until he started to drool and lament he couldn't justify buying yet ANOTHER tent/pack/etc. Based on that I have given things a go :)
I bought a 2 person 1.6kg Montbell Hexagon for about $450. A girlfriend got it for me when she went to Japan. It is one of the few brands that can be pitched as a fly only(like some Macpac models) which then weighs 920g. It can't be pitched in strong winds above the bushline. We use it with a footprint to protect the floor and never leave it up during the day to avoid UV and kea damage. I've joined REI to get access to brands you can't buy here. Mountain Hardware make good stuff. I've used their tents climbing in Mongolia and have their Transition top.
11–13 of 13

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Mayfly
On 1 February 2010
Replies 12
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown