Colours on the new Topo 50 Maps

I was just fossicking through my box of antique NZMS1 maps (in search of the Troyte River that Harker Peter had mentioned on another thread)... and I was struck by just how readable the contour lines were. Putting a new Topo50 map (Shannon-BN34) next to the old NZMS1-S78 the difference is obvious. The old maps used a darker green for the vegetation and a slightly darker brown for the contours which I find far easier to read than the rather wash-out colour scheme on the new maps. The new maps are ok sitting in my well-lit living room, with nice clean glasses on...but crouching on a windy, clagged in spur, with rain splattered glasses, trying to figure out where the lines all meet and what numbers they have... is much harder than it should be. Until just now I put it down to ageing eyesight, but now I'm thinking LandInfo haven't helped matters at all with their colour choices. Anyone else noticed this? And is this something that could be fixed if we got the ear of the right people?
Have a peek at NZMSI S64 that is a classic map..
I hauled out an old NZMS1 map and had a compare myself. I suspect my eyes are too far gone for it to make much difference to me. I think the contour colour is pretty much the same. The green is darker so the greater contrast is probably what makes the difference.
177A S64 Topo map

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by PhilipW
On 4 January 2010
Replies 3
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown