All that down weighing you down?

I'm amazed by all the heavy sleeping bags (amongst other gear) people are lugging around in the hills these days. Unless you are planning on a night out do you really need all those feathers? I have a Macpac Escapade 150. It weighs approx 450 grams and although a little short for me (6 ft 2 in) and has no hood and just makes it over my shoulders, it is proving to be fine as a light weight hut bag for the warmer months. I'm often cosy while my mates are overheating! I also have a Macpac Neve (down only on top)weighing approx 700gm another good multi-purpose bag. My old Macpac Sapphire (approx 1.6kg) does not get a lot of use these days! By the way, shop around. I'm not a Macpac groupie and they certainly are not the company of old! Have you often found yourself too hot? Consider a lighter more universal bag (600gm - 1kg)which you can always beef up by wearing clothing or a down vest. The bottom line is to consider what gear you are carrying. The more weight, the more energy burned and more tired and buggered you'll get etc. Comfortable tramping everyone!
Sound advice, I think it comes down to knowing what sort of weather you're expecting and planning accordingly. If you're fly camping and got average overnight lows of 11c and some outside records of storms/unseasonal weather dropping to 4c then I'd be carrying something lighter than the new Macpac Escapade 350 (850gms) - and be prepared to put some clothes on if I got cold. Comfortable tramping indeed!
I'm lusting after the Go-Lite Ultra 20 quilt. It weighs 500g and has 800 loftpower. I'm currently using yes, a Macpac Sanctuary 500 light which is adequate for me down to 2-3 degrees exactly as they predict for women. This weighs a kg. I sold my Macpac Neve recently as the Sanctuary has the edge on neck muff and hood design for the same weight. I had a Fairydown Ultralite but gave it to my shorter sister as it was too short wearing thick socks and a thick hat(I'm 5 foot, 8) and I didn't like the hood/muff set up as I like to crank the bag up so that I have a 2 square inch breathing hole in winter! I've got a big fat bag for snow caving and winter tenting.
This is like opening pandora's box. After months of research, Procrastination, nail biteing and general second guessing two years ago on the advice of Colin at Trek And Travel in Hamilton I bought A One planet bag (he's an ex Macpac representative of old). Hard to imagine the Aussies getting cold weather bags right but this has to be the quickest lofting most optioned bag Ive owned or experienced. It compresses down to almost nothing wieghs in at about a kilo very impressive bag.
Mont-Bell have some interesting looking down sleeping bags. They have a website [US] but i climb.co.nz are importing them into NZ. I have a really great lightweight Mont- Bell down jacket. PS I am not connected in any way to the company.
Best bag I've had is the one I have now.....La Fuma warm n' light 950 Pro. So light you don't know you're carrying it (almost).
Gonna have to google that one! I had a One Planet which I used snow caving. Great bag, especially when the exchange rate was very favourable. I bought an identical one recently on Trade Me for $42. The guy advertising it, only described the model, not the brand and of course people thought "what do the Aussies know about making sleeping bags?". When I went to pick it up, the guy said he was expecting to get $100 for it so that's what I sold it for shortly after. MontBell do great gear. We have a multi-pitch tent from them. I only know of 2 other companies that make multi-pitch tents - Macpac and Hilleberg. Hilleberg are awesome but so expensive.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by whio1
On 30 December 2009
Replies 6
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown