Bus/transport from Nelson to Windy Point?

I have tried hard to find existing posts on this using search, and I keep getting application server errors, even when I try to just view a description of the Harper's Pass tramp . . . so I'll just go ahead and ask a rather basic question: Is there a bus that will take me from Nelson to the spot along SH7 called "Windy Point," which I read is the end of the Harper's Pass tramp? A recent Lonely Planet guide has very specific information on this stop, even with a link, but when I try the link it goes to naked bus, which apparently doesn't serve that route -- in any event, some current information would be hugely appreciated, as I would prefer to approach this route from the East. Cheers from California! :)
Try Atomic Travel / Shuttles www.atomictravel.co.nz [Email address removed] Windy Point is between the stops : Boyle River South (a stop for the St James walk) and the Poplars or Hanmer. You want a Nelson to Christchurch bus route via the Lewis Pass. At the other end of Harpers Pass, the pick up is at Aikens; between Jacksons and Arthurs Pass stops. You want a Christchurch to Greymouth/Hokitika bus route - either direction At boths ends it's about 5 hours walk from the previous nights hut to the bus pick up point. They do recommend doing Harper Pass in the opposite direction; ie start Aitkens and finish at Windy Point. Simply because you have to cross the Otira River at Aitkens and if the river flow is too high then it's not recommended to carry on up the Taramahau River valley. Check out; www.doc.govt.nz for a trip guide. Or; www.backcountrynz.com Regards Luke
Thanks Luke! That's the one I was looking for. Atomic. The LP guide and all the other sources cite southern link and other setups that apparently no longer go via Lewis Pass. The train is easy to book and looks like a good way to get in from the West. But I'm actually thinking about possibly just coming in from the East, and then going back out the same way. I'm pretty sure I can keep myself busy looking for trout up and down the Hope and Hurunui rivers :)

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by eguillermo
On 23 December 2009
Replies 2
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown