Advice wanted - lightweight tramping jacket

Hi, I'm looking for advice about the best choice for a lightweight tramping jacket in the $300-500 range. To priority is that it must be super breathable because I get hot quickly. Nice to have is small pack size, long body to keep me dry, under arm vents, something to stop my bag wearing through the shoulders. It'll be used on one and two day tramps in mild conditions (ie spring to autumn) carrying a large bag. I'm considering the Macpac Traverse, Kathmandu Breccia or similar while the sales are on, but open to suggestions!
macpac dont make the traverse anymore. marmots latest proprietary 2.5 layer white membranes are as breathable as you get. . the artemis is highly rated. so is the super mica but its pretty light weight. anything with gore tex pro in it is highly breathable. the brecia has some generic membrane in it that isnt that breathable. for kathmandu. the alopex is their only gore tex pro jacket.. the arceryx pros are out of your price range. personally i prefer westcomb, you have to buy it from overseas. the apoc or the switch are brilliant with neoshell membrane is as breathable as you get.. macpac stopped making the more breathable event membranes like the traverse unless they are still on clearance, i've got a large traverse, i'm in auckland if you want to buy it. hasnt been used much, in good nick, has no pit zips in it though and its not that long...
Bivouac have the Arc'teryx Men's Alpha FL Jacket on sale for $519.20 (or $479.20 for an orange one in every size but medium). I have one. It is the best jacket I've ever owned by a considerable margin - I'm also hot blooded and breathability is vitally important to me. I've had mine out in torrential rain, high winds, and during a snowstorm above 2800m - it performed brilliantly every time. Three years down the track it's showing no wear at all. Worth every cent. PS Don't waste your $$ on the Kathmandu jacket, most of what they make is only suitable for strolls to the shops in inclement weather.
Macpac Traverse jacket is still on their website. It's not marked as a 'clearance' item. The Traverse pack is discontinued.
Thanks for the feedback! Interesting news from waynowski about Macpac stopping the Traverse. It's still in the shops and online (http://www.macpac.co.nz/traverse-ap-jkt-m.html), but maybe they're running down stock. Unfortunately I'm a small to medium so your large won't fit me, but thanks for the offer.
its a new traverse with a different less breathable membrane to the original eVent membrane. Gore pro is a top notch fabric, and the alopex is a pretty good jacket and will suit as a storm shell. i wouldnt right off everything Kathmandu make, they are a lot better than they used to be with their gear, you have to get approval from Gore tex to use their fabric and the garments have to be made to gore's high standards. size up with a raincoat to allow for layering and remember theres no give in the fabrics, go for at least a medium
Arc'teryx gear has a nice athletic cut, the medium will fit you perfectly :-)
in other words, arcteryx clothing is not cut for the well endowed...
Surely that would only be an issue with Arc'teryx pants? :-)

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by RossR
On 29 December 2014
Replies 8
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown