ATC Leaders

Hi all ATC leaders, In my opinion, it is a good idea to routinely speak to the trips organiser about the trip gets back. Please call them if they do not call you, for a debrief. Would you please chat with some people on your trip, new and old, and listen to what they want or dislike? Then when you talk about your trip with the trips officer, you could pass on useful facts about our people. For example if several people say they want easier, slower or shorter trips, and you told the organiser, then we would run them. Likewise if they wanted more exciting trips, or mountaineering, or coasteering, or running! Of course, people often say they want something and then fail to patronise it when it is arranged for them. We are having another run in Sept and another "beginners" in Aug. You will be aware that our weekends trips have focussed on easy weekends for beginners, not to far away to cut time and money. For Sundays we are running a mix of tramps, especially easy coastal walks, and long walks in the Coromandel & Kaimai Ranges. We had four trampers for our under second 40s trip, which merged with the general trip, last weekend. This shows that under 40s trips are not wanted by most people, as there are many more than four club members under 40, maybe three or four dozen -- I do not know as we do not ask age, and a good few non members would have heard about our trips on the web by googling, or from tramper.co.nz. Cheers, Bruce.
I am interested in ACT's Veterans’ Safari, 3–22 February, 2008. i am from oversea, an experienced and well-equipped tramper. May I come along if these going ahead? i look forward to hearing from you and can be contacted at email address: dzungn@melbpc.org.au
Please ignore my previous post. Just read it through finding that these are mainly day tramps. I am of interest in extended tramps.
ATC has decided to get three PLBs, and will take them on the summer trips to the South Island. ATC has decided to appoint a publicity officer, to work at getting enough people for our bus and our huts.
Looks like the plan to collect route guides has not worked; no-one has sent in any at all. I interpret this as showing that leaders do not mind uncertain tramps, and adventurous ones.
I know of leaders who have been leading a trip listed as e.g. 4 to 5 hours per day, or 8 to 10, or whatever, who have arranged an expanded trip, which resulted in the party doing longer days than they signed up for. I ask you to be careful not to add exciting extras to the trip for the benefit of only some of the party. It is so easy to want to make an "interesting" trip, which involves a little more.
Do you ever get the feeling that the ATC expects everything from its leaders, but little from the others? I do, and my background in NZAC shows that an increased role for non-leaders can work well. All climbers know climbing can be dangerous, and they take steps to be safe. There are conflicts, of course. There has been a call for training for ATC leaders, but I think it we all benefit from addressing the worries that some of us have, and the leaders should not have to look after us all. For example we should leave firewood in the hut, and we can get out and gather it ourselves. without the leader telling us.
In 2010 the ATC ran three 90 minute training evenings for overnight trip leaders. First night we went over the club document which advises leaders what to do. Second night we went over prvoius trips and looked ahead, to minimize risk of accidents. Third night, we went over navigation. Leaders are encouraged to do the M.S.C. courses on first aid and river crossing.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by calvert
On 25 July 2007
Replies 7
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown