What type of knife do you carry?

1–10 of 18

Hi all, Currently I carry a victorinox knife similar to the hiker, but instead of a phillips head it has a bottle opener (it's about 20 years old). I also carry a smaller single folding blade gerber. I also have a victorinox Swiss tool, but don't take this as I find it has too much, and is to heavy. What do you carry and why? I have been thinking about getting something like a Ka-Bar so I have a decent heavy knife for a survival situation, but am unsure if it and similar knives would be way too excessive. Any thoughts? Anyone that may have been in a situation where it would be handy? Ka Bar link: http://www.top-gear.co.nz/shop/SHOP+BY+BRAND/KA-BAR+KNIVES/Ka-Bar+Combat++Utility+Knife+Black+-+Fine+or+Serrated+Edge.html
I've got a basic Victorinox with a couple of blades, scissiors, saw and a can opener. Don't really see the need for anything bigger or more complex. I also have a nice little Pocket Boy folding saw for my 'destroy as many contorta as possible' missions.
I just carry a small pocket knife in my eating kit sharp enough to cut onions without spraying juice everywhere
Box cutter, in my First Aid bag. Razor sharp & light weight. Don't see the need for a 'survival knife' for myself. Wouldn't have minded a machete now & then ?. Used to carry half a hacksaw blade. One guy I know, has a wire saw in his kit.
I carry an Opinel #8. They're a a beautiful little knife. Razor sharp. Easy to get an edge on again. Yes, they rust up if you don't oil the blade. But in the field, some oil from the side of your nose or forehead will do just fine. What's more, they're cheap!
Plastic knife to spread my pate. Frank carries a plastic spatula to eat his kiwifruit with.
I carry a Leatherman and have used many of it's features, even the pliers on tramps (fixing crampons)! The saw is incredible and if I'm not in a hurry I'll saw off offending branches on the track up to 50 or 60mm dia. Hardly ever use the knife blade though. My partner carries a plastic knife just to spread the blue cheese!
Leatherman too. Admittedly only the knife and scissors get any real use, the pliers have come in handy though. Not sure what model it is as it was a supplier freebie but it's not that heavy. Meant I could ditch the first aid kit scissors anyway. I carried a machete for years then forgot it once and never bothered again, mind you I don't bush bash anymore. Sea to Summit plastic knife for kitchen duty.
A swiss army knife. The blade has hardly ever been used, the scissors more often but only occasionally. The woodsaw and tweezers would be the next most used tools. Would normally want to take something that it is lighter and smaller, but I was given the knife when I was young and the knife has gone on every tramp I've ever done. So it stays in the kit until gets lost or broken (perish the thought). If that happens I'll probably replace it with a little Vicky paring knife and a proper pair of scissors. I use the handle of my metal spoon for spreading stuff on crackers/bread.
When i was in the Army I carried a kukri I purchased in Malyasia. Now that is a knife, Ive used it to cut down moderately sized trees before. My mate and I used ours to build a small hut once when we were on this exercise on the West Coast and were sitting on this ridge in a radio van for 4 weeks. It was 6 foot long by 4 wide, built log cabin style. We also shot a couple of deer and sat around the fire eating venison sandwiches, playing cards and drinking beer....Your tax money at work people......If you are a bushcraft legend try to find one, it is the perfect survivalist knife. Now I have a Victorinix(?) soldier knife, 4" blade, can opener, tweezers, holepunch/reamer. Thats is all you need for most outdoor tasks. You really only need a full tang blade if you do a lot of camping, or are into survival skill/bushcraft training. Otherwise it is just over kill. I can tell how experienced you are by the knife you carry, the novices carry heavy, full blade knives, the rest of us light folders. I also have a folding para knife by Gerber in my survival kit. That bugger is goddamn sharp! Honestly the only action my knife sees is the occasional slicing of salami or veges!!!!
1–10 of 18

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Scottie
On 3 December 2014
Replies 17
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown