Kawekas

Hi there We are going into the kawekas next weekend for a tramp, Starting from Makahu Saddle hut going up kaweka j and on to back ridge biv for the night. Then onto rocks ahead and venison tops hut for night 2, travelling then onto mangaturutu hut and back around past whetu to ballard hut. Last day we will return along the tops and back down to makahu saddle carpark. May do this trip in reverse depending on the weather... Just wondering if any one could tell me how accurate the times are on the doc website? I have worked out a route card and the times are much longer than what is listed on the doc website. Just wondering what I should be planning off? eg. what i work out to be a 10 hr day doc lists as 6 hrs Also what is that area like for water at this time of year?
Sounds like a good trip. Can't advise you too much on the times. We were in the area last month, see my route description here http://www.tramper.co.nz/?4586 Just looking at your timetable it doesn't look too bad. One thing about that area, there are so many routes that you can change plans quite easily. For example you could get back to Makahu from Venison Tops quite easily in a day if you get behind time. I think last time I did that I was at Dominie Biv for lunch. With regard to water, you can pretty well assume there is none on the ridges so it would pay to fill a water bottle when you go past a hut or are in the valley. However from my experince, if you get stuck, you probably don't need to go far off the ridge to find flowing water in a gully. This is certainly the case in the nearby Kaimanawas, I have watering points I know of everywhere in there.
Got a couple Kaweka Trips on my website that cover the area you are going into. Most of the huts are 3-4 hours apart. Makahu Saddle to Back Ridge Biv should be a pretty easy day since we continued from there to Manson Hut via Rocks Ahead Hut in one day from Makahu Saddle! Also from Makahu Saddle take Trail Spur as this one zig zags nicely up the hill unlike the Makahu Spur which goes straight up the hill! From Venison Tops-Mangaturutu allow for about 3 hours since there are some big hill climbs either end and undulating along the middle plus windfalls Also the windfalls from the winter snow I don't know if they are still there but they make travel rather slow. Should also take some water with you since not many places to fill up only at the huts. I do not recall a tank at Back Ridge I think you need to get some in the creek? Also at Ballard the creek nearby was full of left litter and that.
About 3 hours to the top of Kaweka J then about 1 hour and a bit to Back Ridge Hut. 2 hours to Back Ridge Biv. About 2-3 hours down to Rock Ahead Hut About 3 hours to Venison Tops (only track I have not done but I think the sign said about 3 hours) You could probably do the Venison Tops to Mangaturutu in 2-3 hours Up to Ballard about 3 hours although it could take longer. I haven't done the tops bit back to Makahu Saddle. UP

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Samh1
On 13 December 2009
Replies 3
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown