Te Araroa, North from Wellington Jan and Feb

I am planning on heading as far north as I can get in about 3 or 4 weeks. I am coming from the US for a Masters program at VUW and have some time to kill before school starts. I have s some tramping experience along sections of the Appalachian Trail. I am hoping to start the second week of Jan. Any one and everyone is welcome to join me on this journey- Peace
Heading out on the 7th or 8th of January. For the unfamiliar, the Te Araroa is the new trans-NZ trail. This will truly be an adventure...
3 to 4 weeks. I would start from Cape Reinga and go south or start with the Queen Charlotte Track on the South Island ang go south. Any reason you start in wellington and go north?
Flint, Have you done the tramp? I was planing on starting in Wellington because I live here. I have been checking out the option of starting at Cape Reinga but am still working on how to get up there.
I have not done it myself. I would like to do the southisland in the near future though. I did meet someone who was doing it while staying up at the Peach cove hut, Whangarei heads. We had a long chat about it all. Since then I cant let go of the idea of doing it myself. There should be lots of options these days to get up the country while there are so mayn tourists and especialy backpacker. You can always get a ride!
If you have not looked at the Te Araroa website, that will help you plan. www.teararoa.org.nz There is also a twitter link while you are on the move www.twitter.com/walknz

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by nomadman
On 11 December 2009
Replies 5
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown