Where to see kea?

Hi everyone, Being an enthusiast bird watcher, I would like to know where it ios possible to see them while tramping. Which tracks, routes or anything did you go to and see keas? Cheers
Haven't done much tramping down south yet but did do Lake Angelus in Nelson lakes about 2 1/2 years ago, saw some Kea along Robert Ridge on the way in. Might be better places to see them though, especially as Angelus Hut is closed for a few months. Could always camp I suspose but I hear kea can be pretty destructive when it comes to things like tents and packs.
There were lots at Arthur's Pass when we were there, especially on the more popular tracks like Avalanche Peak, where one opened an unattended pack, took out map and compass and flew away with them. There were many in the village too - one hopped up the back steps and into the kitchen of a cafe we were in, so you don't even need to tramp to get up close to them.
well my aim is more to see them in the wild than in carparks around Arthur's Pass or milford, and skifields. but thx anyways
A pair of Kea shared our lunchsite (but not our lunch) at Tarn Col on the Edwards / Hawdon circuit in APNP in November
Ive encountered Kea on every alpine trip Ive done in Fiordland and Mt Aspiring. Go above the bushline for a day or 2 and you are bound to at least hear them if not see them. Most Ive seen at one spot is 13 at French Ridge back in April 2008. I talked to a Canadian guy earlier this year who did French Ridge round about this time last year and he saw about a dozen as well, so give French Ridge a go. Noisy buggers kept me awake for 2 nights clambering up and down the tin roof, chewing on the deck and generally making a racket!

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by dussex
On 10 December 2009
Replies 5
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown