How to choose boots?

My trusty hiking boots have finally died and I need to buy a new pair. Technology has improved so much since my last pair and there seem to be so many different types! I am talking to people in shops and weighing up my options but I wanted to ask advice from people who aren't trying to sell me anything. I generally do day hikes, with maybe 2 or 3 overnight/3 day hikes per year. I'm female with average size and width feet. My last pair were leather and thick and got very heavy when wet (which seems to have happened a lot in the last 6 months!) so I'd be looking for something a bit lighter. What have I missed? What kind of questions should I be asking? What should I look out for? What are reputible brands? Is there anything wrong with buying a pair in the Kathmandu sale? Thanks Ocky
Yes, I had the same problem when buying boots. It is so confusing. Then you go and find a boot that seems to fit the bill and they don't have a pair in your size!! The number 1 thing is comfort in boots. They must be comfortable. Look for plenty of toe room but the boots should grip you firmly from the laces to around the heel. The good news is that modern boots are generally more comfortable than the old ones. For general tramping I don't think you need to spend lots, I wouldn't go more than $300. You can probably get a very good pair of boots for more than that but they won't necessarily last any longer and you can get good boots for less. I like a stiff sole. The first thing I do it pick up the boot and bend it and look for something with some stiffness. Others may have other opinions on that. Look for a good tread and a proper heel and instep. Much better in the mud. When you buy the boots take them home and wear them around the house for the evening. That way you can really get the feel for them and still take them back clean. I have gone back a couple of times after doing this to go up or down a size. Just a few hints, others will have many more.
The fit is my first priority.Determine which is your bigger foot. Loosen the laces, push your toes to the front and try for a snug finger between your heel and the back of the boot. That way when you wear them normally, you should have the toe room to prevent your toes squashing at the front when doing any extended downhill work. This is even more the case when choosing a boot for more climbing as two fingers distance at the rear is necessary to ensure the foot won't reach the front when kicking into ice. Yes i know that's probably not what your wanting but it reinforces the principle of fit in length being so important. Next make sure the width is reasonably snug when you've tightened the boot because it will give in time as you flex the foot. If its too comfortable when fitting it may prove too wide after some use and allow your foot to travel closer to the front. Women ,in general have a narrower foot but that's not a rule. Ankle support is necessary to help prevent rolling the foot and a boot thats flexible from the start will sooner have less support as time goes by. Balance that with comfort. A midsole that strengthens the lateral support (makes the boot less twistable in the sole) will result in less work for your foot. Take a sandshoe for eg. It twists more readily than a boot usually and therefore the muscles in the foot do more work to balance you on uneven ground. You will tire quicker in the foot as a result. Eg. compare the lateral support of a Scarpa by attempting to twist the sole a little and then try a much cheaper and lesser known brand of a similar make. I would suggest for you an upper boot made of a combination of leather and synthetic and perhaps a waterproof membrane to assist preventing water getting in through stitching. They are generally more affordable than an all leather option. They will wear in quicker but more than likely wear out quicker. Everything is a tradeoff. Simply look after them to maximise the life.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Ocky_
On 6 December 2009
Replies 2
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown