Hut to Hut options to meet up with parents & baby

Hi, I am expecting a baby early in the new year and my husband and I are really keen to explore NZ trails once the baby is old enough to be looked after by its grandparents for the day. I hear that NZ trails have great hut to hut options and I'm wondering if you have recommendations on such trails where my parents (and our baby) can meet up with us at the end of each day. We found http://www.marlboroughsounds.co.nz/walking/fredom-walk-queen-charlotte-track/4dfw which looks great... are there other ideas? Looking forward to NZ :) - Wilhelmina
I cant say Ive ever encountered a baby out on a track before, youngest tramper Ive come across was a 5 year old who walked the whole way around the Kepler. I would suggest Mt Aspiring hut in the West Matukituki, near Wanaka. This hut is only 2 hours walk from the carpark along flat riverbank, and from here there are heaps of options for you and your husband to to go exploring (Mt Liverpool, French Ridge, valley head, Cascade Saddle, Rob Roy glacier). Mt Aspiring hut is owned by the New Zealand Alpine Club (not DoC) and holds about 30 people at about $25 a night. Heaps of camping spots in the Matukituki too.
I guess basing yourselves at Arthurs Pass Village and doing day trips might work as well. As far as doing a tramp and coming out to the road end in a day...the Mt Somers walkway would be an option where you go in at Woolshed Creek and come out at the Staveley road end.
Thanks for the tips. Yeah I wouldn't take baby out on the trail for more than a half day, but my husband and I are keen to make use of eager grandparents so we can still do the odd "proper" hikes by ourselves and just meet up with them at night. Or maybe we're just in denial that our hiking days are over for a few years! I'll check out the tracks you mentioned :)
I heard of someone taking their baby who was only a few months old up to one of the huts on Mount Richmond for the night. I would hate to share a hut with someones crying, giggling, annoying child.
I have come accross this when i did the Routburn in March 09,a couple and baby were going from Howden hut to Queenstown direction i was going the the other way and we crossed paths in the middle they guy had the baby on his back and the lady had all the gear. Wait for it he was wearing SANDLES with a baby on his back work that one out Lindsay
LOL. I remember once seeing a couple heading into a hut. The woman was a tiny thing and puffing under a huge pack. The guy on the other hand was carrying nothing but a transistor radio and was listening to the cricket as he walked.
Saw a photo in a National Geographic. The Amazonian Indian woman had the entire household effects on her back in a huge basket, including a bunch of bananas (about 30 of 'em). Her other half had a bow and arrow so he could hunt en route. The kids were walking and carrying each other I guess. I said to Frank, "don't get any ideas!".

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by wilhelmina
On 3 December 2009
Replies 7
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown