hammock

1–10 of 18

Hi all I have been tramping with a tent on my bigger ones but had a lightweigth hammock in my backpack all the time started using it. Now I am thinking of doing some longer tramps where there probably wont be any hutspaces available. With a cover for privatness and against the weather I reckon I would be all go as long as there are trees. Anyone of you got some experience with hammocktramping? know someone who do custom flynets??? cheers kai
I've played with the hammock idea all of my life in the bush. I don't often take one to NZ because i like to spend alot of time above the bushline. It's usually best if you have a good idea of the area your going to before you decide on it. After trying many affordable ways to combine different hammocks with a fly etc, nothing has compared to that designed by Tom Hennessy's from Canada. After an Eco challenge in North Qld about 10 yrs ago he came up with a lightweight option (about 1.2kg) with an entry through the bottom. Complete with fly and enclosed with mesh it is a home away from home. The trade off is the price (appx $300). There is an even lighter weight one (about $50 more)but don't kid yourself by it being more durable because of the price. It is designed as a throwaway after some use and meant to appeal to racers or expeditionists where the cost is not meant to be the main factor as opposed to completing the objective. Google Hennessy Hammock and you'll find out more. The resulting bed space is flatter than most hammocks because of the diagonal panel. I saw one going real cheap in Hokitika because the store owner probably didn't have the ability to sell it well. That was unfortunately several years ago now.
I have never used a hammock but the idea does appeal to me. The problem I see is insulation from the cold. With air circulating all around you a hammock is not going to be as warm as a more traditional set up. However for the summer and at low altitudes this may not be problem.
I still manage to use a self inflating mat within a hammock which can assist to the tune of about 5 degrees warmth to your bedding (bag). Another option is the bivvy bag which is extra protection from the wet and windproof of course.
As for a custom made fly... good luck. There is little profit to be made in that field and if you do manage it, it may be some time in production. Once again the Hennessy Hammock provides its own and although minimalist it can be positioned against the prevailing weather.
Hey thx for your answers. I will give the hammock a big go for this summerholiday tramps. I will do most tramps through bush, so I should be fine, witrh finding things to tie onto. Through being a boatbuilder I do know a few sailmakers and they should be able to stitch something up for me. The bivacbag is a good idea though. My hammock is made from parachute material kind of so shoutl dry good. A fly just gives you that bit of xtra privacy I think. cheers kai
Hi Flint - regarding sailmakers...do you know if second hand discarded sails can be used as a source of cheap Cuben fabric? I don't know any boaties to ask! That stuff is awesome but very expensive. Re the cold air around a hammock: I've always wondered if it would be feasible to pitch the hammock low enough so it is making contact with low scrub or beech regen seedlings so these plants act as insulation to heat loss through convection by trapping the air.
A guy on Stewart Is was selling hammock-flies on the side of the road outside his house...if I remember correctly
ugh, or should I go realy south this xams holidays and get to steward? I reckon especialy dinghi sails are cheap to get and you could get them impregnated against rain.
That guy is Mr Hennessy of Hennessy Hammocks fame. I would go to Stewart Island anyway. It is a magical place with flybuys of kaka, tui, you name it, and golden beaches. The deer are angelic and taste delicious. At 3 huts I've been at they have come by to feed on broadleafs outside the window. Of course if you're a hunter you can't move for stepping on the kiwis the trampers are hoping to see!
1–10 of 18

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by flint
On 15 November 2009
Replies 17
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown