hammock

Hi all I have been tramping with a tent on my bigger ones but had a lightweigth hammock in my backpack all the time started using it. Now I am thinking of doing some longer tramps where there probably wont be any hutspaces available. With a cover for privatness and against the weather I reckon I would be all go as long as there are trees. Anyone of you got some experience with hammocktramping? know someone who do custom flynets??? cheers kai
18 comments
11–18 of 18

Mr Tom Hennessy (Hennessy Hammocks ) hails from Canada. Are you kidding? Is he selling stuff on the side of the road?
Could be, look at http://hennessyhammock.com/Toms-story.html and go to the very bottom. It says in 2004 he had set himself up in Athol in Southland
Hi pmcke, Thanks for that.
I kid you not. He has a house on the road going out of Oban towards Horseshoe Bay.
That is where I seen him!!!
Hey flint and others, have you given the Hennessey hammock a tramping test? I have the "expedition a-sym" model, which was used to good effect down in Nicaragua. For my February tramping at Harper Pass and Leslie/Karamea/Wangapeka it will either be the hammock, or a small North Face tent. Since the hammock is probably 40% lighter, I'd like to go with it if practical. I'm assuming a lot of that river bottom country will have trees, and any time I'm higher I'll have to shoot for hut space. If this is highly wrong -- if little or no forest exists along the Karamea tramp -- please do let me know :)
hey all I today picked up a new fly. The one I had and tested with my hammock was way to small. It is originaly a rainponcho to cover person and the backpack, so I wont need to take raingear as trousers and a jacket... I went out on an overnighter and used my hammockas as my bed for the night. It worked realy well exept of small details. when putting up the fly it was getting way to hot under there soon. I did hang up my backpack on sling I used to fix my hammock. After wipping the first dozen of possums with my stick I could fall asleep. I only got woken up a few times when my hammock was shaking by some possum trying to get into my backpack for some munchies... What a night... With the new fly the whole combination comes for under 100$ and weight about 1200gms. If you got enough trees your sweet. so I am looking forward to the next test with the new fly with hopefully lots of trees and no possums.
If you think the possums are moving along the sling or cord you use to string up your pack, you can thread the cord through some sort of bottle (end to end) and when they walk onto the bottle it will spin and they will fall off. This is a trick we use to prevent the white tailed rat(actually a marsupial)in coatal Qld areas (eg Hinchinbrook Isl). They are somewhat smaller though and a couple of old film containers end on end are usually enough. It wouldn't stop them dropping onto the pack from above though.
11–18 of 18

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by flint
On 15 November 2009
Replies 17
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown