Greenhorns in New Zealand

My partner and I are heading to New Zealand for the first time in December. We've got a camper van but I would like to get out tramping. I would like to go on a two-day tramp but wonder if anyone might offer any advice for this time of year. Any suggestions/advice would be really useful. Many thanks
Hi Greenhorns, North or South Island? Hard, Med or Easy? Stay in a hut or tent? You could also check out Dept of Conservation website.
Campervan! Two day trip! Wow, There are hundereds of possibilities if not thousands. Which parts of the country will you be in? One small point. Don't plan to leave your camper at any road ends overnight, especially in the North Island. We may have a reputation of being friendly but there is still an element here that like to prey on tourists.
South Island West Coast: Inland Pack Track, Welcome Flat. South Island middle: Mueller Hut (near Mt Cook), in and out on the Routeburn (you don't have to walk it end to end), Cass-Lagoon Saddle Track. South Island East Coast: Mt Somers Track, Kowhai-Hapuku Track at Kaikoura (or Mt Fyffe for a day walk alternative). North Island has some really interesting day trips e.g. an ascent of Pirongia, the beautiful Waitakeres west of Auckland, the Tongariro Crossing. Also excellent day walks around Arthur's Pass (e.g. Avalanche Peak), Mount Cook, Lewis Pass, Paparoa NP, Queenstown... It really depends what you are looking for, but don't dismiss the day trips. Regarding time of year: conditions should be safe, but it can be quite hot. There can be a cold snap at any time so always carry a rain coat and some thermal clothes.
Thank you all for your suggestions. We're going to head staight for the South Island for 3 weeks then the North for a week (sorry those in the North; no offence intended!). We're looking for a medium level route. Any thoughts on the Routeburn Track?
The Routeburns beutiful, its my favourite Great Walk. Its a 3 dayer to do the full length, though theres no reason you couldn't walk into one hut and back out again. Do it from the Te Anau/Divide side if thats the case as Lake MacKenzie is stunning and worth visiting all by itself.
I agree with Yarmoss i think it is one of the best walks ive done,a short 3 days,Alpine views,good huts and i had a swim in Lake McKenzie down from the hut it was COLD 12 deg c Ranger takes the temp i was not in water for long Lindsay

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Andy M
On 11 November 2009
Replies 6
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown