Best for Swimming?

I'm trying to locate lakes and rivers on tramps that are ideal for a swim (during the summer of course). I'm interested in spots that are more isolated, maybe a bit away from the track so that people aren't walking by. A lake or river where you could camp right beside it is perfect! Any thoughts?
A nice spot near Auckland is Lake Wainamu. You can do a good tramp in the Waitakere Range, and then enjoy a dip. There are few people walking by except at the northern end. Not a camping place. If you prefer a more isolated spot, where you can camp, try the rivers in the Kaimanawa Range and camp anywhere beside them. You could camp near the upper Tama Lake if you wanted to - it is just south of Ngaruahoe.
A nice spot near Auckland is Lake Wainamu. You can do a good tramp in the Waitakere Range, and then enjoy a dip. There are few people walking by except at the northern end. Not a camping place. If you prefer a more isolated spot, where you can camp, try the rivers in the Kaimanawa Range and camp anywhere beside them. You could camp near the upper Tama Lake if you wanted to - it is just south of Ngaruahoe.
The pelorus or Wakamarina in Marlborough are excellent swimming rivers. Deep super clear pools. If you go upstream 2-3 ponds from any access spots I doubt you would be distubed. Especially in the Wakamarina. The pelorus is warmer then the Wakamarina.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Maple Leaf
On 14 May 2007
Replies 3
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown