NZ cell phone -- which company?

1–10 of 12

Any advice as to which NZ cell phone, and, more specifically, which company as provider to get? We'll be there for 4.5 months, doing a number of treks all over both islands. If the track offers the potential for cell reception, we'll take it in the pack. If not, it stays behind... As to phones, our priorities are a) lightest and b) best reception On providers, we want a) best reception and b) most reliable service I understand there are maybe 3 different service providers? And one's NZ cell # starts with a certain prefix depending on the provider?
Hi trtlrock Im from Australia,i am am with phone provider Mobile 3 when im in NZ,Mobile 3 uses VodaPhone NZ network it works ok When you get onto the Tracks no luck at all IE: no signal what so ever
i suggest telecom as they provide more rural coverage,but wouldnt rely on it when in the bush proper,except on the tops where you may be more successful. The charges are .20 cents per txt within nz and .50 cents international,.50cents per minute to make calls out. With no monthly fees.The nokia phone with the deal costs $59.00. And if you wanna charge it,or any AA or AAA batts for headlamps,radios etc: buy a "freeloader" solar charger, for $70 very cheap and portable.
The reception is very similar for all of the companies, Vodafone would have the edge in same rural areas, while Telecom others. If you already own a phone which accepts SIM cards I would take that with you and throw in a 2* sim while traveling in New Zealand. They are sold for only $2.00, while the Vodafone/Telecom SIM cards are around $30.00 The 2* network is basically the same as the Vodafone network. But 2* is typically cheaper. The charge is 44c per 1 minute for calling in NZ + 21 other countries or 9c per text message in NZ or 21 other countries.. I do not beleive there is a great deal of difference between the reception of different phones, I would just grab a Cheap Nokia with a built in torch. They have long battery life because they do not need to power anything fancy.
If you are on top of a hill in view of a city or town then your can most likely get reception from either vodafone or telecom but I have found telecom work much better. On vodafone it shows you have reception but will refuse to call out but telecom will more than likely call out if you are in view of a city or town.
to further emphasize my point concerning cellular coverage in nz. I have telecommunications network trade qualifications,these were attained while employed by the NZPO, TELECOM,CONNECTEL,DOWNER ENGINEERING since 1977 and more recently with BHP and RIO TINTO in western australia. I recall taking home one of the 1st analogue cellphones while rostered for callouts in the 80's. I assisted with the roll out of the CDMA network in the 90's. I am not biased when i say that telecoms coverage in most rural areas is superior to that of its competitors,its certainly not reaching some communities at all but in reality surpasses that provided by other telco's simply because they operate more infrastructure. good on ya.
Im on telecom and live in a rural area classed as limited coverage for both my cellphone and T stick internet, and it is definitly limited but when I get up into the hills I have no reception what so ever in the lower parts but once up on the tops you can get relativly good reception but I would not rely on it
BOUNDFORADVENTURE I also worked for NZPO in the late 70"s as a telephone Tech.I have an old 3G phone would i be better off using thst in NZ with a Telecom sim card,i think it would be cheeper than using my Australian 3G phone on Vodaphone NZ network Lindsay
if all you want is a phone for emergency use take one of each (vodafone/telecom)just ensure that the battery is good then leave them switched off in a zip lock bag in ur pack ALL cell phones will still make emergency calls IE 111 911 999 REGARDLESS of weather there is a sim card in them or not or it there is money in the account so by haveing two old phones cheaply bought you cover both systems BUT remember that coverage is poor in wilderness areas if you get it atall so a cell ph cannot be relyed on at all to work
CELL PHONES should not be relied on for EMERGENCIES I repeat SHOULD NOT BE RELIED ON FOR EMERGENCIES! Emergency Locator Beacon and/or Mountain Radio or Satellite Phone. Although you should not push the limits even with these pieces of kit
1–10 of 12

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by trtlrock
On 4 November 2009
Replies 11
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown