NZ cell phone -- which company?

Any advice as to which NZ cell phone, and, more specifically, which company as provider to get? We'll be there for 4.5 months, doing a number of treks all over both islands. If the track offers the potential for cell reception, we'll take it in the pack. If not, it stays behind... As to phones, our priorities are a) lightest and b) best reception On providers, we want a) best reception and b) most reliable service I understand there are maybe 3 different service providers? And one's NZ cell # starts with a certain prefix depending on the provider?
12 comments
11–12 of 12

I agree with you 100% i took a locator beacon with me when i did the greenstone/Caples track and left the phone at home,i should have said mobile phones in general
His name is "satconnections" after all, and he (she?) joined the site just in time to post the above entry. I agree with the earlier comments though, never rely on a cellphone for emergencies. However if you are using one for whatever reason and the reception is dodgy, a text will often work where a phonecall will not connect. PS last time I used a satellite phone, admittedly a few years ago, the charge was $25 per minute connected. The army was paying for it, I wasn't! And it was a medivac I was organising.
11–12 of 12

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by trtlrock
On 4 November 2009
Replies 11
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown