Rare and rewarding tramp - Raukumara Forest Park

I am planning to tramp to Oronui and Mangatutara huts and return during 10-16 Oct. This is in the Rakumara forest park SW of Mt Hikurangi re Map 260 Y15 Hikurangi.There is no well defined track. Company is welcomed but experienced and well equipped trampers only please.
Sounds like an interesting trip. I have often thought about the through trip to the Motu and the Opotiki side. Please post a report on how you got on and post photos of the huts.
Hi. This is really fine country. We went in from the road end at base of Hikurangi and got to the Motu, pack floated to a side stream, over a saddle to a river that i carnt recall the name. Then a long bush bash back to roadend. It was many years ago after cyclone Bola, most horrendous windfall ive ever seen on the east. about 3% of trip was tracked and came across no huts. Its a very special place in there and im sure you will enjoy it as much as I did.
I also await with interest your report and photos I will start in this area next year.
I reached Oronui ok but the wind got up and weather closed in towards Mangatutara so I called it quits until next time which will be very very soon. This is trip is def a summer one with all the river/stream crossings. Also going up Mt Hiku Friday 13 and will try to find Macs track which is another faster over land approach to Oronui.
just went over to mangatutara via oronui the other day- nice walk. Takes about 4 hours from the road to Oronui and another five to mangatutara. Beware as the track over the saddle gets a little fuzzy on the mangatutara side.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by Vee12
On 1 October 2009
Replies 5
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown