How to get there?!?

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site and this is my first post. I'm planning a trip to New Zealand (I'm from the states) in November and so far I've worked out that I'd like to tramp the Tongariro North Circuit, do a combination sea kayak and tramp in the Abel Tasman, and maybe one other great walk in the south. I've found this site and a few others I've found to be very helpful for route descriptions and such, but I'm having a hard time finding advice and options on getting to the track. For instance, my plan is to arrive in Auckland and take an InterCity Coach to Taupo. From there the best I've found so far is bus service intended for folks doing the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. it'll drop me at Mangatepopo but as far as i can tell I'll be on my own to get back. I'm sure there are shuttles or buses to and from Whakapapa Village (whomever wrote the wonderful track report for the Circuit mentioned a shuttle to the train) but I haven't found them yet. Am I worrying needlessly? Although I'm very experienced tramping in the backcounty here in Colorado, this is my first time in NZ, and first backpacking trip abroad. I'll be traveling solo. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where on the net I'll find the right business to get me to where i want to go. I certainly plan on trying to hitch it, but you can't always depend on the generosity of strangers. Thanks!
There are lots of shuttle services around that area, operating out of Taupo and Turangi. I am sure you could arrange a pick up from Whakapapa. The one I use is the Turangi Cabins and Holiday Park, ph +64-7-3868754 DOC in Taupo or Turangi could give you more information as well.
You could try Matai Shuttles. They have a website you could check out.
Hi, there is a good information centre in Taupo with options for shuttles to Tongariro National Park. When you do the Northern circut you can take a track that leads all the way back to Whakapapa, no need for transport back. There is a DOC (department of conservation) visitor centre at Whakapapa, great place for maps and information you will need for exploring the area.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by SenorWanderer
On 16 September 2009
Replies 3
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown