Best tramp for first time?

1–10 of 26

Hello all, Ive got about 10 days off from late Sept. to early Oct. Ive never been to NZ before, and would like to have the best possible tramping experience. So Im looking for a good track, between 3-5 days, and of moderate difficulty, that will give me the chance to see the "must see" of NZ. I dont have much tramping experience, but I am young and in pretty good shape. Also, how is the weather/snow situation for the tracks?
One track to see all of NZ! Wow, we are going to have fun here. I think you have to look at the Great Walks. See Tracks/Great Walks onthe above menu or on the DOC web site at http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/tracks-and-walks/great-walks/ The MUST DO ones if you had to pick one would probably be either the Routeburn or the Kepler. It has been a bad year for avalanches this year so it might be a little early, particulaly the Routeburn. The Kepler might be a goer. The Milford won't be open then and you would probably have to have booked for that by now. Another, which is not a Great Walk is Rees-Dart, but it has good huts and is well maintained.
Any experienced tramper would be aware of the concept that the 'Great Walks' are not the best tramping experience. You're right. There is too much fun to be had here.
Sorry, i couldn't help stir the pot on the this one.
I have to disagree aardvark. I think someone who is comming to NZ for the first time and wants to know where to start then the Great Walks are a good place to begin. They are well documented and publicised for exactly that purpose. I would have to say that the Milford and Routeburn would have to rank as amongst the best tramping experiences anywhere in the world. However, you are right in that they are not remote or backcountry experiences. There are a lot of people on these trips and most of them tourists. However things have improved with the advent of booking systems. The Milford has always had a booking system but before the Routeburn had one it would be diabolical with 100+ people trying to sleep in a 20-30 bunk hut. There used to be a mad rush along the track early in the morning as people would try and get a bunck in the next hut. At least now, if you have booked a bunk you can relax and enjoy the trip. ccsmith39 has said they have never been to NZ before. I am not sure where they are from or what experience they have but I would be reluctant to recommend a backcountry trip first off. NZ track standards tend to lower than those expected in North America and also our weather patterns are quite different from continental climates. Better to learn these things in the front country than out alone on a backcountry ridge or stuck up a creek somewhere.
I agree with pmcke i did the Milford for my 50th this was my first ever tramp,and it was great.I have now done the routeburn and the kepler Great Walks and in my opion the kepler was by far the best. I am now starting to tick off back country tracks Greenstone and caples and soon the Hollyford.You have to put more thought into these tracks and i can now see how you can get into trouble at the drop of hat
I am interested in what you say about the Kepler. I have never done the Kepler. I guided on the Routeburn back in the mid 1970s and I still think it is a wonderful place. I have often wondered if the Kepler was a bit of a lesser alternative. I know all these tracks are different and difficult to compare but am intereted to hear your comment on the Kepler. Must go there sometime.
Hi pmcke all the tracks i have done are wonderfull,the Milford has alot of bush the Routeburn has the alpine section which is what i like its a shame the Routeburn is not longer 4-5 days in saying that it is much the same as the Kepler. When i walked the Kepler i started from Teanau and that put a 6 kms extra and the hike to Luxmore Hut is quite a steep climb through the bush until you get into the open near the hut and get a fantastic view of teanau and realise just how high you are The Ridge is the highlight of the walk imagine walking on a track 1.5m wide and you look right and all you see is a 45%slope 1500m down to Lake Teanau. In the end i dont think there is much difference between the routeburn and the Kepler they both have an Alpine section but the Kepler is 2 days longer,i think it all depends if you like bush or alpine or both. When you guided on the Routeburn were you a private guide or did you work for a company Lindsay
Thanks everyone fore getting back. Ive heard New Zealanders are exceedingly helpful and polite people. The general consensus on the internet seems to be that the Milford is one of the best tramps. But, as you have pointed out, I am worried about crowds and I was looking for something a little more challenging. At the same time, I understand the weather can be unpredictable and Im also doing this solo. The Routeburn also got some great reviews, and Ive heard its less crowded. Pictures look great too. Being that its only 2-3 days, I'll probably look for another multi day track to do in addition. Thanks
Also, Im assuming there is equipment for hire near the tracks or in town? And, not to get off topic, but can anyone reccommend a popular place to kayak?
1–10 of 26

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by ccsmith39
On 29 August 2009
Replies 25
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown