What do you think?

Hey guys, just found this site, id say ill be hanging around here a little, seem like a good resource. On a quick note im in auckland get 2 weeks off uni in 2 odd weeks, want a challenging track in the alps down south but dont want to go above the bushline much. Was thinking the welcome flats on the copland valley track and going up to the main hut and possibly a day trip up to douglas hut. What is that valley like for avalanches? any experiences you can share? I will buzz doc sometime but locals are just as good, any of u out there? also any other suggestions of tracks instead of welcome flats?, i can kill upwards of 4-5 days, i am fit carry propper gear including epirb, happy at below freezing etc etc but dont want to take crampons and ice axe if u get me. will be goin solo. Feel free to fire away will listen to any suggestions if you have a better idea, cheers.
Not quite in the alps themselves but Kahurangi Nat Park has a decent network of tracks. You could start at the Wangapeka track, do a day or two on that then head north towards the tablelands and Cobb reservoir. There is plenty of bush and valley walking but that could be spiced up with a tramp up to Luna Tops via Kiwi Saddle or later on Mt Peel or even Mt Arthur. If you were really keen you could try wandering into the Tasman Wilderness Area in the park which has no huts or tracks....I'll get there one day. Ryan
I got the Tasman Wilderness Story up on the website maybe you could go down to Stewart Island-Doughboy Bay is the nicest place on the island.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by curtis
On 19 August 2009
Replies 2
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown