Good online retailers

Hello. Could anyone suggest international online outdoor-gear retailers which they've had good experience with? Preferably a retailer that has a reasonable international freight charge. I've done some random searching and any that might have been promising seem to have no option except ridiculous shipping prices like US$55 for a 700 gram package as soon as you enter NZ into the order form! (Screw that!) I'm interested in a particular Outdoor Research bivy bag that's not being imported into NZ, and despite the issues with returning for warranties it's getting quite tempting to try and import it myself if I can find a nice deal. Right now I'm just looking out for good online retailers and I'll see what they have (maybe change my mind) once I have a better idea of where to look. Thanks for any help.
19 comments
11–19 of 19

Thanks for all of the helpful feedback and links. The specific one I'm trying to find is an Aurora Bivy as at http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/aurora_bivy.html I've checked lots of those links but without much luck on the freight side. I found it at a place at Perth which claims it'll ship for AUD$5 http://www.mainpeak.com.au/product.aspx?productID=112039 but I'm trying to get in touch first to check it's actually available and to find out about GST etc, also to decide if I want to pay that much, since it doesn't seem much less than direct from the US including postage. So far all US retailers I've found (most of which do free shipping within the US) require international shipping via USPS, which always seems to cost on the order of US$50. (It seems very overpriced given NZ Post thinks I could ship the same thing the other way for about a third of that, including track and trace, but maybe that just goes with the territory.)
I live near Perth and know a guy that works at the store, if thats of any help.
Thanks for the offer. I flicked them an email and will see what they say first. I have a feeling the low postage was for within Australia. Their order form seems to let you specify between "Australia" or "Other Country" and then gives no space to write which country. heh heh. If I can't get it then it might be easier to just re-survey my options of what's available in NZ already. There could be one or two reasonable alternatives, and it'd be nice to actually see it before buying and have an easily claimable warranty anyway.
Yes, sounds like a good plan to me. Its quite a pricey item!
I did this exercise about 12 months ago and finally bought a vaude bivvy bag which sits at the bottom of my pack in a very small parcel on every trip. Ive used it on several occaisions quite successfully. Cost $100 from trek and travel in hamilton.
Yes I'm starting to come to that conclusion after lots of hunting online and off, especially since I mostly just want some alternative emergency shelter for unintended stops, so I'd rather not have too much dead weight or I may as well carry a tent or fly. I'd pay extra if it seemed more likely I'd get something I'd like, but paying another 25% for freight (35% once NZ Customs has taxed it) just feels wrong, and it's getting too complicated anyway. The bright orange Vaude Bivy Bag Active (is this the one you mean?) seems to be the most common around NZ shelves at the moment and as far as I can tell it's about as light as they come. Finding any online reviews for it is difficult though. It's working out to about $150 retail before whatever discounts I can get. I might think about it for a few more days just in case anything else pops up. Perhaps if I find I'm using it more frequently and it's not working out, I could look for something more suited.
Thats the one. Small and lite which means i dont mind carrying it all the time. Works well for me as a plan or in case of emergency.
Stoney Creek has one of those for 150 dollars. http://www.stoneycreekshop.co.nz/vaude-bivy-bivibag-active-p-2098.html
Yeah I noticed. It's in Bivouac (Wgtn) for the same price retail, so I should hopefully be able to get a discount out of them. I just checked and R&R Sport's stocking it for the same price again. I'll give it a few days of thought and then maybe grab one if I'm still feeling the same way. Interesting how everyone stocks the same stuff (and doesn't stock the same alternative stuff) all because a single importer more or less has control over what comes into the country. It's a small market, I guess, and we're now relying so much on imports. Oh well.
11–19 of 19

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by izogi
On 24 July 2009
Replies 18
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown