Merino vs Polypro thermals

With my set of merino thermals hanging off me (no elbows, no knees, no butt, shoulders down to threads) it has become time to get a new set, or two. Begs the question, Merino or Polypro? I understand both have their strengths and weaknesses. What do people recommend and why?
51 comments
11–20 of 51

..and then you look like the Michelin Man!
I didnt want to be the first to go there but have the same problem with merino. Carnt go past earth sea and sky if you have the money.
The wool fibre has a scale on it and that's why it often feels sctratchy. The finer the wool such as merino the smaller the scale and the less people will find it rough on the skin. Even the finest will still affect a small percentage of the population, me included. I,ve tried hundreds of thermals in all conditions. When it comes to wool i choose not to wear it against my skin unless i'm relatively idle. As soon as i sweat and it is pressed against the skin by a pack for example, i will develop a rash. Having tested quite a few thermals from icebreaker, they simply claim i'm one of the few percent. They would of course.
Wool is good for when you stop at the huts very nice and warm. I only wear a Macpac interwool top, a fairydown wool pull over and a microfibre Earth Sea Sky Jacket and if any colder my Macpac Parka. My old macpac shirt had some kind of weird fabric layout on the back then it deteriorated so I started to get chaffing. Also if my shirt is not tucked in so my polyprop tights are not on the skin of my back it gets a bit itchy on hot days/ridges!
You guys just are just soft, I can wear any wool next to my skin and that includes non-merino stiff knitting wool Jerseys. I can not wear same fleece against my skin, just hate the sensation it causes when putting it on. I can not eat Peach or Apricot skin for the same reason, also the sensation of dry snow under a boot also causes it.... Hate that feeling so much.
maybe people should tramp in the nude as in last months nz wilderness mag, then there would be no itchy skin!!!, although, frostbite may become a problem!!
Nude tramping should be compulsory but only apply for young hot females. Unless they are related to me in which case it does not apply. Was tramping in Nelson Lakes one year, and saw a elderly woman having a nude bath in a small mountain tarn. I am still slightly traumatized from that experience. I think its best people keep their clothing on while out in the mountains. The sand flies would love it.
I'm yet to experience sand flies, but have driven mad by hordes of march flies, cataclysmic clouds of ravenous mosquitos and visions of elderly nude bathers. I'm told your sandflies are worse than all. How good is polypro/synthetic thermal material for repelling these sandflies?
The tight fitting nature of thermals offer good protection against the little blood suckers. Although any skin which is left uncovered would still be attacked.
Who's soft? What's this? Apricot skin?.... and dry snow under the boot. Walking nude would only open all sorts of squabbles as to who's following who? Can't see it gaining popularity. No need to seek reasons to go off your food.
11–20 of 51

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Clusterpod
On 20 June 2009
Replies 50
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown