Winter Tramping! Milford / Kepler

Would anybody out there be keen to do either Milford or Kepler track this winter???? I have no idea of dates, but just keen to see how much interest there would be. Obviously it would have to be weather/avalanche dependant. Beautiful scenery i would say. Let me know if keen. Cheers.
I have been on the Milford twice in the winter, though both times were a bit earlier than this, one time was just after the season had closed and then other time was May. We used Dore Pass for access, in one case returning over Dore Pass in waist deep snow, in the other case we bribed a Milford fisherman with a bottle of rum. The avalanche risk is probably quite significant from now on but I have to say that having the whole track to yourself is something very special.
As for the Kepler, I think the only issue is that there is no heating in the huts. Kelvin Lloyd from the Otago University Tramping Club one time pushed a wheelbarrow up to Luxmore Hut with a sack of coal in it so everyone could be warm on a club trip.
And I thought it was hard enough without the wheelbarrow!
Yes, but then Kelvin is a bit of a legend
And ... they didn't know about global warming back then
It was only about 4-5 years ago.
Do you have any particular dates in mind and how long did you want to allow for it? I would make the trip over from OZ for it.
Possibly somewhere between July 18th and August 2nd??? Only because there is a guy coming over from Singapore who is very keen. I can be flexible either way. Weather and avalanche conditions are going to be the hard part to work around.
I would normally choose a window of time eg. 4-5 days. Commit to that with leave from work and a flight booked. That is, hoping for the best of weather and conditions but ready with a number of contingency plans such as walks in other areas. I would then chase the good weather on my arrival. If you have it in mind to do the one thing only regardless, then i would just have to settle for whatever happens when i get there. I am already booked for arrival to NZ on Aug 2 for a 6 day snowshoeing trip.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by kiwichris
On 11 June 2009
Replies 9
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown