New "hut" category

There is interest in a new category for rock bivs and natural shelters. I am proposing this be called "Natural shelter". The description would provide detail about exactly what that meant. Feedback please?
I think it's a great idea. There is a lot of interest from trampers to stay in well known rock bivs. Knowing exactly where they are helps find them! Cheers Andrew
Great idea! Gives more options to explore along the way and use as back ups for shelter if required.
Yes, that's the way to do it.
Now you're talking. Surely the essence of tramping is self sufficiency. It's you and the wilderness. I find a walk without huts to be of much more appeal and likely to have less people around. To rely on huts is merely making it a holiday.
:-) everybody has a different idea of what "real" tramping is, and that's fine, and a good goal would be to support all those different ideas. I think sometimes we look for different things though. Last weekend I was looking for something nearby where walking in the dark would be OK (i.e. a compromise). Over Christmas, I was looking for something more exciting.
"The Essence of Tramping" ... now there's a whole thread in itself!!
The essence of tramping is to walk.... no need for a whole thread.
philistine! tramping is so much more than walking

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum This website
Started by matthew
On 10 June 2009
Replies 8
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown